I am a dad, husband, writer, photographer, and (to pay the bills) electrical engineer. I am always tired.
I live in San Diego, California with my wife, three kids, and dog. Of the six of us, I'm the least charming, interesting, or attractive. I'd say that puts me in a pretty good position.
I'm interested in stories. True stories, fictional stories, and those in between. Written stories, visual stories, the stories we tell each other, and those we tell ourselves.
- Email: mike (at) sakeriver (dot) com
- Facebook: Michael Sakasegawa Photography
- Twitter: @sakeriver
- Instagram: @sakeriver
- Podcast: Keep the Channel Open
- TinyLetter: The Best of Intentions
Nonfiction, Personal Essays, Op/Ed
- The Lie Beneath the Story of My Family’s Asian American Dream - Catapult, 9 Nov 2017.
- A Predictable Trend in Photography Criticism - PetaPixel, 7 Jun 2016
Awards, Competitions, Honors
- Runner-up, Popular Vote. Onward Compé '15.
- In Detail. Wellfleet Preservation Hall. Wellfleet, MA. Nov 27 - Dec 8, 2015.
- Marvelous Things. PhotoPlace Gallery. Middlebury, VT. Jan 13 - Feb 6, 2015.
- Size Matters. Low Gallery. San Diego, CA. Oct 24 - Nov 23, 2015.
- Black and White. PhotoPlace Gallery. Middlebury, VT.
- Still Life. Escondido Municipal Gallery. Escondido, CA.
- Black & White. Escondido Municipal Gallery. Escondido, CA.
- Spring Is Here. Vista Wellness Center. Vista, CA.
- Lights, Shadows, and Reflections. Escondido Municipal Gallery. Escondido, CA.
- California. Vista Wellness Center. Vista, CA.
- Family Exhibition. Detroit Center for Contemporary Photography. Detroit, MI.
- Family. F-Stop Magazine. Jun 1 - Jul 31, 2016
- Family Matters. PhotoPlace Gallery, Online Photo Annex. Middlebury, VT. Jul 28 - Aug 21, 2015
- At Home. Don't Take Pictures. Aug 26 - Nov 24, 2015
- "Mike Sakasegawa: Sheets: A Love Letter" Lenscratch. Feb 13, 2016.
- "Photographer captures time between time 'In Detail'." Provincetown Banner. Nov 26, 2015
- "Mike Sakasegawa: All Good Things." Lenscratch. Nov 24, 2015.
- "Work From The Medium Festival of Photography 2014—Part One." A Photo Editor. Nov 28, 2014.
- BS, Engineering. Harvey Mudd College. Claremont, CA. 2001
- Carmel High School. Carmel, CA. 1997