Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 399485 times)

Drew

• Resident
Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #11750 on: April 21, 2016, 11:16:05 am »
One of my high school friends co-founded Hack Reactor back when we were both doing web design; it is very strange to me to see other people in my life talking about it. I pinged him and he suggested something like General Assembly might work for you if you're looking for something more compact.

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #11751 on: April 21, 2016, 11:33:15 am »
One of my high school friends co-founded Hack Reactor back when we were both doing web design
That's awesome!
It's great to enjoy your work, because you spend a lot of time doing it, but it is even better to enjoy your life.
--ElJay

Nighthawk

• Resident
« Reply #11752 on: April 21, 2016, 09:04:14 pm »
I'm taking MIT's "Intro to Computer Science and Programming". The course uses Python. I've never tried a free online learning module, but here goes. For those interested, I'm taking it because while I'm applying for jobs I need to increase my skill sets, and learning to code as well as to do more statistical analysis in Excel are both things I want to be able to do.

One thing I've discovered recently is CodeWars (that's my affiliate link), a sort of competition site that is great practive for coding and algorithms. Some of my co-workers are using it to improve their skills in Javascript and C#, and although I may not need it as much myself it has been entertaining and challenging at times. And it's actually fun to see some of the screwball one line solutions some people come up with.

It does support multiple languages, including Python.

Am I asking for a unicorn software fairy that dispenses neatly packaged brain uploads?

If you are... welcome to the wonderful world of software development! ;)
"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer..."

Darklight Interactive - "Omne ignotum pro magnifico"

JT

• Resident
« Reply #11753 on: April 22, 2016, 08:38:43 am »
So, my (2010 MacBook Pro) battery died while I had an open excel spreadsheet (Excel for Mac 2008), and now excel refuses to open.

Here's what I've tried:
(1) trashing the preferences (no change)
(2) re-naming and then deleting the spreadsheet that was open during the battery death (since I think that's what is crashing excel) (no change)
(3) running excel while logged in as a different user (worked perfectly).

Any thoughts?
You should have seen me.  I was DEMOCRACY IN ACTION.  I picked up my ballot and said, "HELLS YEAH!!" and then when I stuffed it into the ballet box, I did it with so much panache and elan that I can't hardly wait for the novelization.

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11754 on: April 22, 2016, 09:01:18 am »
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

JT

• Resident
« Reply #11755 on: April 22, 2016, 09:44:44 am »
Tried that, and no luck. But I hadn't found that solution previously, so thanks for sharing it. I wouldn't have known to even try it.

Also tried booting into safe mode and opening excel. It still crashed.
You should have seen me.  I was DEMOCRACY IN ACTION.  I picked up my ballot and said, "HELLS YEAH!!" and then when I stuffed it into the ballet box, I did it with so much panache and elan that I can't hardly wait for the novelization.

TomDavidson

• Señor Member
« Reply #11756 on: April 22, 2016, 10:54:34 am »
Hm. Could it be possible that the default template is corrupt? Can you copy over your default with the known good from the other user?
Indeed, a flavored hell goes deep sea fishing with some tripod defined by another hole puncher.

JT

• Resident
« Reply #11757 on: April 22, 2016, 03:09:03 pm »
Is there a way to do that when I can't open the program? I'm not familiar with excel templates.

TomDavidson

• Señor Member
« Reply #11758 on: April 22, 2016, 04:45:30 pm »
From Microsoft:

-  Run the Disk Utility application to repair disk permissions. Restart your machine.
   -  Run the Font Book application to resolve corrupt and duplicate fonts (Office 2011 seems to be
      more vulnerable to this than previous versions). See  http://word.mvps.org/Mac/fontweeding.html. Again restart.
   - If not fixed, with ALL Office applications closed, delete (or rename) the following file
             ~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.excel.plist
        and this folder
             ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft
        where ~ is your home directory

And then: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2439218
Indeed, a flavored hell goes deep sea fishing with some tripod defined by another hole puncher.

JT

• Resident
« Reply #11759 on: April 22, 2016, 05:17:32 pm »
Hmm, I've done most of that but not in that order. Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11760 on: April 27, 2016, 10:56:44 am »
I have a stupid question about having multiple domain names on one hosting account. I've had two domains for a while, one for my personal blog and forum, GalacticCactus, and one for my language blog, Arrant Pedantry. I have a subforum on language at GC, and I think I'd like to link to it from Arrant Pedantry, but I'd like it to look like it's part of Arrant Pedantry, if that makes sense. I know that I can make a theme that applies to a specific subforum, so I can deal with the aesthetic side, but is there a way to make it look like it's on the arrantpedantry.com domain?

That is, if you link to the forum from Arrant Pedantry, can I make it display arrantpedantry.com/forums in the address bar rather than galacticcactus.com/forums? If it helps, my GC blog is in the root of my hosting directory, and the forum and Arrant Pedantry are in subfolders.
"I'm 87% sure Jonathon is 100% correct." —Scott R

JT

• Resident
« Reply #11761 on: April 27, 2016, 10:58:45 am »
I feel like I've done something along those lines with apache mod_rewrite, but unfortunately it's too fuzzy for me to give you any more information than that.

fugu13

• Resident
« Reply #11762 on: April 27, 2016, 07:50:41 pm »
Probably the easiest way is to duplicate the code folders but point them at the same database, with almost the same config. Unless they keep the domain-related config in the database, that shouldn't be super finicky so long as you're careful when you do upgrades -- put both down for maintenance, do upgrade on one, then copy all files over again (re-making any config differences).

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11763 on: April 28, 2016, 08:26:30 am »
Hmm. That sounds complicated and possibly prone to disaster. Is there a way to make the entire forum look like it's on arrantpedantry.com rather than just the subforum? Or is that what you were describing?

fugu13

• Resident
« Reply #11764 on: April 28, 2016, 09:04:21 am »
Yeah, what I was describing is the entire forum.

The issues you're going to run into are that most forum software, broadly, is not written to be run on multiple domains, and most simple hosting setups don't make available a lot of the tools that'd make it easier to do it, and the combination of these things makes it more difficult. You might be able to rig up some domain-level rewrite rules as JT outlined if your host allows it... and then have the forum software give links that are to the other domain, for example. Your best bet's to hope someone's written a howto for your specific forum software; you might get lucky and it only takes the rewrite rules set up the right way.

The approach I describes takes advantage of how a lot of forum software stores some simple config, such as the domain, in code -- so if you duplicate and modify the code, but use the same database with all the posts, a lot of things should work.

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #11765 on: April 28, 2016, 05:12:45 pm »
So how is Windows 10 working for people?  My kid says to stay with Windows 7.  But he also lectures me everytime I save as jpg.  I guess I'm just getting old.  I am hoping to get a laptop for mother's day or my birthday which is about a month after.  I've been without one since Januaryish.
It's a wonder we ever became an apex species.
-Tante

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11766 on: April 28, 2016, 05:13:59 pm »
Works fine for me.
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

GoodyScrivener

• Resident
« Reply #11767 on: April 28, 2016, 09:54:11 pm »
The only problem I'm having with my computer is one that predates the upgrade to 10.   I'm going to be upgrading the rest of the computers at home in the next couple weeks.  I don't know when the work systems are going to be upgraded.
I tried that back in the 60s. I'm not even sure where to find rolling papers big enough these days.

Aqua regia: the cure for the Midas touch.

The desire to eat one's offspring is only just barely weaker than the desire to see them survive.

Hobbes

• Resident
« Reply #11768 on: April 29, 2016, 07:01:02 am »
I have a laptop for work, which comes home with me every night (long story, but basically my company is stupid).  I have a lot of stuff on there, some of which I want backed up on general principles and some of which I want access to personally should I lose the laptop (quitting, getting fired, etc...).  I have effectively infinite space on my home computer, and it backs up online automatically (to Backblaze, which itself offers effectively infinite space at no extra cost).  So My plan would be to backup my laptop to my desktop at home.  So here's my question:

Is there any program I can install that will automatically back-up new files from one computer to another when they are connected/I hit run?  I can do a single data dump, but if I want to keep it up to date, it would be too complicated to keep track of all the new files myself.  So I'd like something that can automate it for me.  I don't mind leaving the thing running overnight, or having to hit run myself, but I don't want to have to just copy and paste everything everytime and then try to sort what's new and what's not.

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11769 on: April 29, 2016, 07:35:30 am »
There are multiple options.  What OS are you running on the two machines?  Windows has backup features that will probably do what you want.  Although in your shoes I'd consider OneDrive or Dropbox and just use the related local folders for the relevant files, since it would be even easier.
-- Jonathon

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11770 on: April 29, 2016, 08:09:49 am »
Thanks, Fugu. I'll look into it and see what I can figure out.

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11771 on: April 29, 2016, 08:17:04 am »
Hobbes: I looked into Bittorrent Sync a little while back but just haven't gotten around to setting it up on our machines. As I understand it, it works a lot like Dropbox or OneDrive, but it syncs things locally instead of to the cloud. I think it also lets you choose which folders to sync instead of only letting you sync the one.

Raja

• Harmonic Engineer
« Reply #11772 on: April 29, 2016, 08:19:20 am »
I was never able to get 10 to install on my machine. I gave up trying after spending a day or so trying to get it done in various ways. It was easier to get OS X installed on it than it has been to get Windows 10 installed.
"twinky" on Hatrack

Hobbes

• Resident
« Reply #11773 on: April 29, 2016, 08:32:40 am »
Thanks!

I have Windows 10 installed (in fact I installed it twice.  My computer crashed and blew the system and I had to re-install.  The crash had nothing to do with Windows 10).  My entire family, which covers the complete spectrum of non-experts (from pretty competent to no idea) all installed it and no one's had a problem (nor had a problem with the install).

Hobbes

• Resident
« Reply #11774 on: May 02, 2016, 11:12:32 am »
I should say, Bittorent Sync looks like exactly what I want.  But when I tried to find out, I discovered that my laptop automatically blocks any software of that nature so I had to revert to doing this all by hand.

Phoey.

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11775 on: May 02, 2016, 11:20:48 am »
Is it a work laptop or something? Why could you not unblock it?

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11776 on: June 08, 2016, 03:01:10 pm »
I'm editing a high-school-level programming course, and one of the lessons talks about HTML basics. There's a table of brief definitions for some common HTML tags, and <div> is defined as "a block of HTML content", while the definition for <p> says, "Paragraphs are a type of div". That's not technically correct, right? They're both block-level elements, and you can stick paragraphs inside of divs, but that doesn't mean that paragraphs are a type of div, at least as I understand it.

Human

• Resident
« Reply #11777 on: June 08, 2016, 03:09:05 pm »
I'm editing a high-school-level programming course, and one of the lessons talks about HTML basics. There's a table of brief definitions for some common HTML tags, and <div> is defined as "a block of HTML content", while the definition for <p> says, "Paragraphs are a type of div". That's not technically correct, right? They're both block-level elements, and you can stick paragraphs inside of divs, but that doesn't mean that paragraphs are a type of div, at least as I understand it.

That would be correct. Paragraphs are a type of block, but they are not a type of div. Divs are divs.
The spear in the Other's heart is the spear in your own - you are he.
--Surak

fugu13

• Resident
« Reply #11778 on: June 08, 2016, 03:09:48 pm »
It isn't true in the sense that rules applied to divs would apply to p, but it is sort of notionally true, in that a div is a 'bare' block level element in terms of both semantics and styles and a 'p' has some additional semantic and stylistic rules on top of that. That is, if you were to construct a hierarchy of html elements by specialization, p would be a specialization of div.

In other words: yep, you're absolutely right in every way that matters.

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11779 on: June 08, 2016, 03:10:52 pm »
Okay. Thanks, guys.

Human

• Resident
« Reply #11780 on: June 08, 2016, 03:13:45 pm »
I would also say that they serve very different purposes--<p> tags are pretty purely for text formatting, or at least a block of text. Divs have very broad formatting use, and are basically used any time you need to have discrete formatting segments in your code. (In my experience, anyway.)
--Surak

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11781 on: June 08, 2016, 03:20:42 pm »
"That is, if you were to construct a hierarchy of html elements by specialization, p would be a specialization of div."

I think the key word here is "construct" - the existing HTML specification doesn't establish this relationship.
-- Jonathon

fugu13

• Resident
« Reply #11782 on: June 08, 2016, 03:43:07 pm »
"That is, if you were to construct a hierarchy of html elements by specialization, p would be a specialization of div."

I think the key word here is "construct" - the existing HTML specification doesn't establish this relationship.

You can read it as "construe" instead of "construct" -- the relationship is there from the nature of the elements in the HTML specifications, but it's only really useful, only pragmatically true, for the purposes of holding a particular sort of complicated discussion.

Human: exactly, paragraphs are a semantic specialization of divs.

Human

• Resident
« Reply #11783 on: June 08, 2016, 03:57:39 pm »
And, realistically, if someone had made that connection to me when I was first learning about div tags, I probably would have gotten very confused. Paragraph tags, at the very least, can be somewhat helpful outside of using CSS code, while divs are almost useless without it. Their major, major use is to be a convenient "container" to put a class on and then hang a bunch of CSS off of. Once they've been given that 'definition', they're extraordinarily useful, and mandatory for modern web design, but until given that "meaning"...
--Surak

fugu13

• Resident
« Reply #11784 on: June 08, 2016, 04:08:31 pm »
Yeah, an introductory text should just tell people "writing paragraphs of text? put it in paragraphs dang it. Never use breaks. here's a few basics for adjusting spacing with CSS."

Only maybe a touch more eloquently and with a bit more detail and organization.

Human

• Resident
« Reply #11785 on: June 09, 2016, 05:39:31 am »
Yeah, an introductory text should just tell people "writing paragraphs of text? put it in paragraphs dang it. Never use breaks. here's a few basics for adjusting spacing with CSS."

Only maybe a touch more eloquently and with a bit more detail and organization.

Yup.

Of course, I work every day with a website that doesn't use <p> tags, and instead uses double <br>...
--Surak

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11786 on: June 09, 2016, 08:26:25 am »
noooooooo

Human

• Resident
« Reply #11787 on: June 09, 2016, 08:33:26 am »
noooooooo

Yeeaaaah. And it's so endemic that I couldn't possibly just go through and fix it.
--Surak

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11788 on: June 09, 2016, 08:44:37 am »
You can't just do a site-wide find-and-replace?

Human

• Resident
« Reply #11789 on: June 09, 2016, 08:45:40 am »
You can't just do a site-wide find-and-replace?

Given the way our text is laid out, I think that would just mangle it worse than we had it before.
--Surak

JT

• Resident
« Reply #11790 on: June 09, 2016, 08:51:39 am »
Why on earth don't you use one of the numerous free and robust CMS out there?

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11791 on: June 09, 2016, 08:53:29 am »
We recently had that conversation in another thread. For some reason Human's been told to build his own CMS from scratch. A lot of us recommended checking out WordPress.

Human

• Resident
« Reply #11792 on: June 09, 2016, 08:54:53 am »

We're currently in the process of looking at that--probably going to go WordPress, but it's a matter of getting everything to work like we want, which may be a little above my current skill set. I'm also not the one who decides what it needs to do or look like. (Because, as I tell my bosses repeatedly, I am a writer and marketer who has been shoved into web development with no training.)
--Surak

Sparrow

• Resident
« Reply #11793 on: June 09, 2016, 09:27:54 am »
"Screw you, space-time continuum!" --CT

Anna

• Resident
« Reply #11794 on: June 09, 2016, 12:26:47 pm »

We're currently in the process of looking at that--probably going to go WordPress, but it's a matter of getting everything to work like we want, which may be a little above my current skill set. I'm also not the one who decides what it needs to do or look like. (Because, as I tell my bosses repeatedly, I am a writer and marketer who has been shoved into web development with no training.)

And who is doing extremely well (probably better than they deserve) under the circumstances.

Corwin

• Resident
« Reply #11795 on: June 24, 2016, 01:13:41 am »
I just learned that Google can actually recognize content inside images. So if I search for "dog" on my google drive, it will find images I saved which contain dogs. :o

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #11796 on: June 24, 2016, 08:34:04 am »
That is WILD!
It's great to enjoy your work, because you spend a lot of time doing it, but it is even better to enjoy your life.
--ElJay