Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 356137 times)

Tante Shvester

• Resident
Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #11150 on: February 25, 2015, 06:42:37 am »
I like the fitbit zip because it is tiny and I can clip it to my bra or waistband, so it is invisible and compatible with dress up clothes.   Also, I need to wear a proper watch for work, to check heart rates and such, and I wouldn't want to wear two things on my wrist.
If you weren't already in my sig, you would be now -- Porter
We're all basically in Venezuela, really. -- Tom
You should always follow your instincts - except for when they are wrong. -- Moxie

ElJay

• Resident
« Reply #11151 on: March 04, 2015, 09:32:04 am »
I decided on the fitbit Charge HR in slate blue, and was all ready to spend the money. Went to the website, and blue and tangerine showed as not available, but you could sign up to be notified when they become available. Screw that, I thought I'd get the plum. Clicked buy, and it said delivery was in 3 - 4 MONTHS. Black is 2 - 3 weeks. Guess they underestimated demand. (I'm not buying black, and I'm not ordering for this summer, so I'm back in contemplation mode.)

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11152 on: March 05, 2015, 07:53:12 pm »
What do you do with computer parts that don't work anymore? I've got a graphics card and a hard drive that I need to get rid of, but all the stuff I can find about recycling computers assumes that you're recycling the whole computer.
"I always thought of Lech Walesa.  :shrug:  Now that is a man with a fine looking moustache." —pooka

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11153 on: March 05, 2015, 08:08:25 pm »
It looks like Staples will accept peripherals and small electronics, so I'd probably try there.  They don't say they will accept those particular components, but they also don't say they won't.  (They have a short list of things they won't accept.)

http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/easy-on-the-planet/recycling-and-eco-services.html?cid=PS:GS:CO:OP:P:8:30228:electronic_recycle&gclid=CKjLkpXsksQCFY-EaQodnX8Aiw
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

dkw

• Resident
« Reply #11154 on: March 05, 2015, 08:31:18 pm »
Best Buy lets you drop off computers and computer parts for recycling.
Nobody puts Baby in a binder.
                                            -- Smeraldina

Ela

• Resident
« Reply #11155 on: March 05, 2015, 08:36:02 pm »
Does Best Buy let you drop off things for free? One article I read said they charge for drop-off of some items, but then give you a gift card for items in the store.
"Autocomplete has failed me again..." - my son
---
A gentle dust bunny daydreams
---
Annoying little frog
---
I don't repeat gossip, so listen carefully.

dkw

• Resident
« Reply #11156 on: March 05, 2015, 08:49:22 pm »
Ours is free.
Nobody puts Baby in a binder.
                                            -- Smeraldina

Ela

• Resident
« Reply #11157 on: March 05, 2015, 08:54:55 pm »
I'll have to call and see. It's on my to-do list. We have a lot of old electronics to get rid of, too.
---
---
Annoying little frog
---

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11158 on: March 05, 2015, 09:05:31 pm »
Thanks. :)
"I always thought of Lech Walesa.  :shrug:  Now that is a man with a fine looking moustache." —pooka

Zalmoxis

• Resident
« Reply #11159 on: March 06, 2015, 08:06:03 am »
Our county has a recycling center that will take electronics for free. It looks like Utah County doesn't have much, but I did find this
If the gentle vacuum cleaner buries an eggplant around a spider, then a revered tornado dies.

Ela

• Resident
« Reply #11160 on: March 06, 2015, 08:08:56 am »
Our county has free recycling, too. By appointment.

Does anyone know where all that recycled stuff goes? A friend of mine was claiming that it doesn't actually get recycled, it gets dumped in third world countries - at least some of it. Not sure where she heard it or if it's a particular recycler.
---
---
Annoying little frog
---

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11161 on: March 06, 2015, 08:24:53 am »
I've heard that before, too. A lot of stuff gets sold to third-world countries, where it's processed with acid and toxic chemicals to extract the gold and other valuable metals. Here's an old NPR story on it. I think a lot of states have started cracking down on that practice, though. Here's a newer story that says that some companies like Best Buy are trying to prevent that sort of thing with their recycling programs.

Ela

• Resident
« Reply #11162 on: March 06, 2015, 08:44:43 am »
Thanks. I knew about Best Buy's recycling program, mentioned in the second story you linked. I found a link in the comments of the NPR story for finding responsible recyclers:
http://e-stewards.org/find-a-recycler/

Looks like Staples is a good choice, close to where I live. There's Best Buy around here, too.

And someone put a link in the comments of the NPR story for recycling Dell Products, I have no information on how responsible their program is: http://dellreconnect.com/

I'm thinking I should send my old iMac back to Apple. Not sure how responsibly they handled recycled electronics, though.
---
---
Annoying little frog
---

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #11163 on: March 06, 2015, 10:51:01 am »
This is good information. I have an old (quite dead) computer that was supposed to go to a recycling program locally, but it closed. So it's just been sitting in the corner of my front room for ages.

I should get it over to Staples.
Some people feel like anything different is good.  Terror is different.
--pooka

Nighthawk

• Resident
« Reply #11164 on: March 06, 2015, 12:09:39 pm »
Sometimes we take computer equipment out back and use a pair of golf clubs we have allocated just for that.
"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer..."

Darklight Interactive - "Omne ignotum pro magnifico"

Drew

• Resident
« Reply #11165 on: March 09, 2015, 01:38:18 pm »
So...new Macbook.

Pros: from an industrial design standpoint, the thing is the most beautiful computing device I've ever seen. 2 lbs, 12" screen make it more carryable than the Airs or the Surface Pro 3.

Cons: Core-M processor. Only one port. No, seriously, one port for your peripherals, your displays, and your charger (which is no longer Magsafe). Like other ultra-thin devices, the keyboard has almost no key travel.

Conclusion: looking forward to Surface Pro 4!

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11166 on: March 09, 2015, 01:57:43 pm »
I work mainly in reporting/BI for a large customer service organization, but my role also involves some piecemeal system administration and recently a bit of J2EE development.  I nearly always find that when I need to learn how to do something, googling gets me the answer very easily.  But as a result I don't have much depth of knowledge on various things that I learn this way. 

Luckily I have a boss who really values my willingness to take on things that aren't related to my main role, but I've been musing on whether I'm doing myself any career favors.  I'm spread thin enough that I'm not doing a good job keeping abreast of various BI platforms, and I haven't been able to get much depth on anything else. 

Maybe this is how some people end up deciding to go into IT management.  I know enough to basically plan out and supervise the kind of work I'm doing, and maybe I'm nearing the point where I'd be more effective at that than at being a fraction of an individual contributor in 5 different areas.
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11167 on: March 09, 2015, 02:00:23 pm »
So...new Macbook.

Pros: from an industrial design standpoint, the thing is the most beautiful computing device I've ever seen. 2 lbs, 12" screen make it more carryable than the Airs or the Surface Pro 3.

Cons: Core-M processor. Only one port. No, seriously, one port for your peripherals, your displays, and your charger (which is no longer Magsafe). Like other ultra-thin devices, the keyboard has almost no key travel.

No Magsafe charger? Boo. That's one little thing I've always really liked about Macbooks. (I especially appreciated it after having to replace a broken DC power jack on an old HP laptop. It wouldn't have broken it if had been designed like a Magsafe.)

Apple certainly does build some beautiful computers, but I think they often put form over function. A super-thin laptop sounds great, but I'd like to be able to plug some things into it. This review says it well: "Everything about the MacBook is about beauty, whether it’s the single USB-C port on the left side . . ." No. Peripheral ports are not supposed to be beautiful. They are supposed to be functional, and a single port is not that functional.

ElJay

• Resident
« Reply #11168 on: March 12, 2015, 09:53:41 am »
So I ended up getting a Jawbone Up 24 for my exercise tracker, and I ordered it from Amazon Warehouse for $46 instead of the new price of $130. I figured I could give it a shot for that. It came yesterday and I charged it and set it up last night. So far everything's easy to use and functioning as advertised, but I am surprised and displeased at how quickly it's getting dirty. I bought the orangy color, and it has little ridges, and a couple hours into the day I noticed the leading edge had a dark line on it, and by now (noon) the ridges starting at that edge are also visibly grungey. Yuck. So much for picking something I thought would be less obtrusive visually.

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #11169 on: March 12, 2015, 01:18:37 pm »
So...new Macbook.

Why on Earth does Mac have the Macbook *and* the Macbook Air? When your Macbook weighs less than your Air, what on Earth are you offering the two separate lines for?
I did too, because someone linked it and i'm easy like that. -Rivka

fugu13

• Resident
« Reply #11170 on: March 12, 2015, 01:25:05 pm »
The Macbook Air's much cheaper while still being a very light general purpose computer, with more ports and all that.

I think of the new Macbook as an experiment. Is the ecosystem ready to adapt to a computer that sacrifices everything it can for size and weight with good performance? I suspect (or rather, know from Apple's history) that the line will get simplified again later. If the experiment works, the Macbook will gradually replace one of the other product lines (like the Air replaced the old Macbooks after a few years), and if the experiment doesn't work, the Macbook will disappear again. Even if the experiment fails, the Macbook is clearly a testbed for manufacturing techniques, which will find their way into existing Apple products either way.

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #11171 on: March 12, 2015, 01:54:55 pm »
Interesting. Thanks, fugu.

Dogbreath

• Regular
« Reply #11172 on: March 12, 2015, 02:33:02 pm »
I have nothing useful to contribute, so I'll just post this annoying video.

Drew

• Resident
« Reply #11173 on: March 12, 2015, 02:36:25 pm »
I'm only 40 seconds in and already dying

Dogbreath

• Regular
« Reply #11174 on: March 12, 2015, 02:54:16 pm »
Seriously, though. I'm typing this on a 6 pound touchscreen laptop that far outstrips the new Macbook at, well, *everything* (processor, HDD space, functionality, even camera resolution) that I bought for $600. It fits quite comfortably in my bag when I travel. Style and 4 pounds isn't worth an extra $700 and a downgrade in performance for me.

But even if I wanted an ultrathin/ultralight laptop, there are already plenty of cheaper and better alternatives on the market. I really think Microsoft hit the nail on the head with the Surface - why keep trying to make a laptop as light as a tablet when you can just take a tablet and give it a laptop's functionality and performance?

Drew

• Resident
« Reply #11175 on: March 12, 2015, 03:16:18 pm »
I'm still laughing.

Nighthawk

• Resident
« Reply #11176 on: March 12, 2015, 04:03:15 pm »
I have nothing useful to contribute, so I'll just post this annoying video.

Man, that loses a lot in translation... His choice of words in Spanish is priceless.
"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer..."

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #11177 on: March 12, 2015, 04:04:10 pm »
I know everyone is still laughing at Dell for the most part, but I think ever since they went private again, they're in a very good way right now. Looking very much forward to what they put out this year.

Zalmoxis

• Resident
« Reply #11178 on: March 13, 2015, 11:36:43 am »
Very few PC laptops have a keyboard and trackpad that's as good as a MacBook (and tablets can't compete with that). And the difference between 6 and 4 pounds can be substantial if you are porting your laptop around a lot. Plus there's OSX.

There are things that I dislike about both PCs and Macs (esp. laptops). I'm not sure what I'd buy if work didn't supply me with a laptop (or they let me choose). But I don't find the appeal of MacBooks incomprehensible. Nor do I think they're the alpha and omega of laptops.     
If the gentle vacuum cleaner buries an eggplant around a spider, then a revered tornado dies.

Dogbreath

• Regular
« Reply #11179 on: March 14, 2015, 12:35:07 am »
Oh, I don't think it's incomprehensible why anyone would want one of the new Macbooks - I just know why it's incomprehensible why *I* would want one.

Performance is a pretty important factor for me. I usually have a lot of applications running as well as a Kali VM, so I couldn't really afford cutting my processing power literally in half by getting the new Macbook. Likewise for functionality - I frequently use thumbdrives and my external hard drive when I'm travelling, as well as various externals. When I'm at home I run an HMDI cable from it to my TV to watch videos (Netflix and otherwise), I also have a docking station for it at home so it becomes a desktop when I need it to be. (I don't currently own an actual desktop, though I probably will once I start building my home office and home network)

I won't dispute the better keyboard or trackpad. It's not something I've even thought of since my keyboard and trackpad work perfectly fine and I don't know how improving their quality would improve my experience. (I've also gotten in the habit of using the touchscreen more and more for various tasks - it sounds kind of weird on a laptop, but a lot of things are just quicker that way) All in all I can't imagine shelling out $1300+ (plus whatever warrenty, plus the $79 dongle to let you actually attach anything, etc.) that is in every practical way worse than one I can buy for $500 or $600. I can *understand* the appeal, though - maybe if I was a business professional or writer or something and travelled a lot and spent most of my time editing spreadsheets and powerpoints or writing e-mails, my main focus would be on ergonomics, comfort and style... and if I was afflluent enough where I wouldn't balk at paying an extra $700 compared to *other* ultrabooks out there and/or just really wanted a Mac, I could maybe see myself buying one. It's hard for me not to just see Apple products as status symbols, though.

As far as work laptops, though - this is the laptop I usually got issued over the last 3 years and I absolutely love them. Hot-swappable hard drives, high performance, 15 hours per battery (of which I carried several), practically unbreakable... unfortunately I can't really think of any reason I *need* something like this at my new job but I can always dream. :)

Zalmoxis

• Resident
« Reply #11180 on: March 14, 2015, 07:56:51 am »
That's a seriously rugged laptop.

Dogbreath

• Regular
« Reply #11181 on: March 14, 2015, 08:15:09 am »
Heh, you should've seen the ruggedized servers we worked with, those things were absolutely ridiculous. We had one that was having issues, and after accidentally dropping it down a ladder well on a ship (trying to carry it up to the flight deck) it started working fine. Cue subsequent conversations with our lieutenant about why dropping sensitive electronics 10 feet isn't always the best way to fix them... ("We haven't gotten it up and running yet sir." "have you tried dropping it yet?" "...")

Nighthawk

• Resident
« Reply #11182 on: March 14, 2015, 01:10:55 pm »
It's not bulletproof? ;)

I'll stick with my Thinkpad, which I could probably run over with my car and it'd still work.

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #11183 on: March 15, 2015, 10:13:48 am »
My windows 8 machine has been trying to update for the last 14 hours or so.  It says it's 100% and don't turn it off, but the little loading critter isn't moving.
That seems to be consistent with what she said.
-Jonathon

Teshi

• Resident
« Reply #11184 on: March 22, 2015, 07:32:19 pm »
So in recent days hundreds of people have visited the blog on which I put my Every Day in Toronto photos. They live almost exclusively in the States* and Blogspot thinks they mostly run Linux. They seem to spread fairly evenly over my posts, so each post shows 17, 16, 14 etc. hits. However, the posts I would think would have more interest do get more interest, but that could be an even spread + genuine interest, for example.

Am I seeing 17 people visiting each post and the system is counting them multiple times? Or am I seeing hundreds of different IPs who then choose to look more closely at a fairly evenly spread selection of posts? Are they real hits at all or am I seeing something automated?

*It has crossed my mind that the occasional Sakeriverite might be passing through, but not hundreds of you and it would be a sudden surge in interest and most of you running Linux? No.

EDIT: Trying to find any source for the visits have brought up that my picture of the Major Oak in Sherwood Forest is used all over the place. Gonna track that with TinEye now.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:42:22 pm by Teshi »

Nighthawk

• Resident
« Reply #11185 on: March 23, 2015, 09:32:10 am »
...and most of you running Linux?

I have three computers on my desk, so you have about a 67% chance of me hitting your site as a Linux user. :P