Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 339099 times)

AnUnexpectedY

• Resident
Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #10950 on: October 17, 2014, 07:31:12 am »
Bunch of new crap from Apple. Very little of it interests me. The mini is okay, but it only NOW has Haswell, and it's still all mobile hardware. I realize they do this for sizing/thermal reasons, but that's not a desktop to me.

The new iMac is neat, but what the hell am I supposed to do with it in 5 years when it's got useless hardware but an awesome display? I hate that about AIO computers in general. We have some 2009 27" iMacs at work that are basically garbage, except for their unusable displays. Call me when the Thunderbolt display is 5k.
I prefer to think of myself as a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur!

Jake

• Administrator
  • Resident
« Reply #10951 on: October 17, 2014, 08:48:17 am »
The last thing I want is any chance of a car becoming bricked due to a software update.

I thought of the possibility of that when I experienced the Tesla. A bad driver or a kernel panic can quickly turn it in to a one ton anvil.
And don't think for a minute that there won't be people working to hack these systems remotely the moment they're in the wild.
So which one of you wants "America in arms against to find places stick and" and which one wants "is an race itself continually new to and"?
Dagonee

Drew

• Veteran
« Reply #10952 on: October 17, 2014, 02:43:03 pm »
Bunch of new crap from Apple. Very little of it interests me. The mini is okay, but it only NOW has Haswell, and it's still all mobile hardware. I realize they do this for sizing/thermal reasons, but that's not a desktop to me.

The new iMac is neat, but what the hell am I supposed to do with it in 5 years when it's got useless hardware but an awesome display? I hate that about AIO computers in general. We have some 2009 27" iMacs at work that are basically garbage, except for their unusable displays. Call me when the Thunderbolt display is 5k.
Yeah, the last two Cook-led refreshes almost have me convinced to go from long to short on AAPL.

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10953 on: October 17, 2014, 04:11:41 pm »

Yeah, the last two Cook-led refreshes almost have me convinced to go from long to short on AAPL.
I was saying that in April of this year. Then the stock split and went up a ton. My parents made a bunch of money not listening to me.
I did too, because someone linked it and i'm easy like that. -Rivka

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #10954 on: October 17, 2014, 05:07:14 pm »
I take it as a bad sign for Apple that my iPhone order was filled two weeks earlier than they said it would be.
It's a euphemism.

"Stop and smell the data."- Nate Silver

"I love the smell of confirmation bias in the morning."-Steve Rogers

Yes, but it's clever when I do it.  -Jake

keedokes

• Resident
« Reply #10955 on: October 17, 2014, 05:34:57 pm »
I'm actually just really disappointed about how big the iPhones are getting.  I was so happy with my 4s because it was still phone sized.  Apple is now making mini tablets, too.  At least they're reliable mini tablets.

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10956 on: October 17, 2014, 07:13:41 pm »
Whereas I am a big fan of phablets.

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #10957 on: October 17, 2014, 07:14:42 pm »
You have pretty big mitts, so it makes sense.
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10958 on: October 17, 2014, 09:01:59 pm »
You have pretty big mitts, so it makes sense.
True, my big pudgy fingers struggle with normal phone touch screens.

keedokes

• Resident
« Reply #10959 on: October 17, 2014, 09:36:46 pm »
But I am a delicate Wisconsin bloom--my gossamer, tender wrists cannot withstand the weight of such heavy machinery.

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #10960 on: October 18, 2014, 07:08:05 am »
It's a euphemism.

AnUnexpectedY

• Resident
« Reply #10961 on: October 18, 2014, 06:04:44 pm »
I can tell you that, from an enterprise standpoint, Apple is still hot shit. All of our developers want them even if they're absolutely terrible from a business perspective. The only reason to have them is to keep top talent. Our department just keeps growing, and it's DESPITE what we tell people. We're supposed to be the Apple fanbois, trumpeting the superiority of our systems, but we're standing on top of a shit ton of knowledge saying "no, you should really use a PC, trust us, you'll be more productive and your employees will be more productive." Such is the momentum of that fucking Apple logo that these fucking sheep keep coming to our trough.

Good job security, though. Few other people do enterprise Apple shit.

AnUnexpectedY

• Resident
« Reply #10962 on: October 18, 2014, 06:09:28 pm »
Whereas I am a big fan of phablets.

Me too. I want a Nexus 6 but dat cost doe. :(

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #10963 on: October 18, 2014, 06:40:37 pm »
I asked for a Macbook Pro when I had my work laptop replaced a few months ago, despite knowing it wouldn't help my productivity.  I had a couple of reasons.  1) I wasn't going to buy one for myself, and this lets me get familiar with MacOS.  2) I wanted using my work laptop to feel good for once.  (My old laptop was a painfully slow Dell that I couldn't hold on my lap due to ventilation with a crappy display and a crappy touchpad.)
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

AnUnexpectedY

• Resident
« Reply #10964 on: October 18, 2014, 07:03:17 pm »
There's good reasons to want a Mac, but there's a lot of bad reasons too. There are a lot of great PC laptops that no one buys because they don't buy that brand or whatever. The Lenovo Yoga springs to mind. Great machine, but if you're a Dell shop, good luck!

I'm also a big fan of the Surface Pro. Expensive, but a nice little device. If I HAD to go Windows, that's what I'd be fighting for.

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #10965 on: October 18, 2014, 07:31:57 pm »
I forgot to clarify: the laptop isn't my main work machine.  When necessary, I use the laptop to RDP to my desktop.  Which is a sweet (if aged) Dell workstation.
-- Jonathon

AnUnexpectedY

• Resident
« Reply #10966 on: October 18, 2014, 07:51:42 pm »
RDP is the best part of modern Windows operating systems. The fact that I can use an iPad to control Windows well is amazing.

Sparrow

• Resident
« Reply #10967 on: October 19, 2014, 08:00:31 am »
I'm actually just really disappointed about how big the iPhones are getting.  I was so happy with my 4s because it was still phone sized.  Apple is now making mini tablets, too.  At least they're reliable mini tablets.

Word. I have tiny hands (and also tiny pockets, because women don't get real pockets). Giant phones are not going to work for me.
"Screw you, space-time continuum!" --CT

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #10968 on: October 19, 2014, 02:58:46 pm »
News on fast charging batteries.

http://www.newser.com/story/197191/new-batteries-take-2-minutes-to-recharge-70.html

Looking at two years to market.
It's a euphemism.

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10969 on: October 19, 2014, 04:58:32 pm »
Neat! Hope it pans out.

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #10970 on: October 19, 2014, 08:45:09 pm »
My cell phone has 3 or 4 spare batteries.  It's because we both had the same phones and replaced them with like kinds.  I have a couple of the defunct phones that we use as chargers.  My husband was really loyal to Palm for years and years.  My mute button has stopped working.  Crap, I forgot to change the volume through the settings menu after church.  I need to see if I can swap my number to a working phone.  Verizon has this thing about the Centro technically being a smartphone and requiring a data plan.  Though I guess it shouldn't be an issue since we have a shared data plan now. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:46:52 pm by pooka »
That seems to be consistent with what she said.
-Jonathon

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #10971 on: October 20, 2014, 05:27:07 am »
It'll cost $10/month more than a regular phone, iirc
It's a euphemism.

Ela

• Resident
« Reply #10972 on: October 20, 2014, 02:28:11 pm »

Word. I have tiny hands (and also tiny pockets, because women don't get real pockets). Giant phones are not going to work for me.

Go tell your cousin you have a 4s. He's convinced you couldn't have one cause (he said) they weren't being sold anymore when you got yours. He seems to have completely forgotten that he was the one who suggested a 4s as opposed to an older model that Verizon was giving for "free" when you got yours. :P
"Autocomplete has failed me again..." - my son
---
A gentle dust bunny daydreams
---
Annoying little frog
---
I don't repeat gossip, so listen carefully.

Sparrow

• Resident
« Reply #10973 on: October 20, 2014, 06:35:10 pm »

Go tell your cousin you have a 4s. He's convinced you couldn't have one cause (he said) they weren't being sold anymore when you got yours. He seems to have completely forgotten that he was the one who suggested a 4s as opposed to an older model that Verizon was giving for "free" when you got yours. :P

I don't have a 4s, I have a 5c. 4s is the older model that was being offered for like two bucks when I bought my phone.

Drew

• Veteran
« Reply #10974 on: October 20, 2014, 07:37:49 pm »
Have you heard about the "Reachability" feature built into iOS 8? (If you haven't, it's described in the section titled "Everything within reach." on this page.) A few of my smaller-handed friends have tried it: some liked it, some didn't, but it might help alleviate some of the giant-phone problem for you.

Personally, I have long fingers and was still nervous about having a 5.5" screen. I was right to be nervous in some cases—it's not a phone I can use entirely one-handed anymore—but I've been surprisingly OK with it and have adapted to two-handed use a lot of the time, though I'm sure part of that is cognitive dissonance.

Ela

• Resident
« Reply #10975 on: October 20, 2014, 07:40:15 pm »
I've heard about the reachability feature. However it doesn't solve the phone too big for pocket problem, which is something I also worry about.
---
---
Annoying little frog
---

Ela

• Resident
« Reply #10976 on: October 20, 2014, 07:40:55 pm »

I don't have a 4s, I have a 5c. 4s is the older model that was being offered for like two bucks when I bought my phone.

Ah, okay. But the 4s was still available when you got your phone. I remember we looked at both.
---
---
Annoying little frog
---

Drew

• Veteran
« Reply #10977 on: October 20, 2014, 07:43:43 pm »
I've heard about the reachability feature. However it doesn't solve the phone too big for pocket problem, which is something I also worry about.
I blanked on the pocket part. That's a tough one. My wife keeps her phone in her purse, which works for her but annoys me because she keeps it on vibrate and therefore misses my calls/texts.

Hmm...a smart watch might solve that. I'm tempted to get one for her now, except it'd be pretty jerky of me to give her a present for my benefit. :)

JT

• Resident
« Reply #10978 on: October 20, 2014, 08:15:54 pm »
Not at all! Win/win.
You should have seen me.  I was DEMOCRACY IN ACTION.  I picked up my ballot and said, "HELLS YEAH!!" and then when I stuffed it into the ballet box, I did it with so much panache and elan that I can't hardly wait for the novelization.

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10979 on: October 20, 2014, 08:40:52 pm »
Yeah, not if she herself loves having it.

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10980 on: October 21, 2014, 07:04:44 am »
In Excel, INDIRECT + MATCH with "&" turns my brain into goo. :\

Sparrow

• Resident
« Reply #10981 on: October 21, 2014, 07:06:27 am »
Have you heard about the "Reachability" feature built into iOS 8? (If you haven't, it's described in the section titled "Everything within reach." on this page.) A few of my smaller-handed friends have tried it: some liked it, some didn't, but it might help alleviate some of the giant-phone problem for you.

I don't currently have a giant phone. My current phone is fine for my hands. But if I ever decide to get a new phone, I'm afraid that the only choices I have will be giant.

JT

• Resident
« Reply #10982 on: October 21, 2014, 07:28:02 am »
I do have fairly large hands (this is a weird discussion), but I still don't want a phablet. I like a phone I can slip in my front pocket without feeling like I'm smuggling a textbook.
You should have seen me.  I was DEMOCRACY IN ACTION.  I picked up my ballot and said, "HELLS YEAH!!" and then when I stuffed it into the ballet box, I did it with so much panache and elan that I can't hardly wait for the novelization.

Scott R

• Scooter
« Reply #10983 on: October 21, 2014, 07:32:05 am »
I am not a fan of the latest iOS update.  I feel like everything on my phone (4s) is slower now, especially Safari.  Additionally, the way safari works with bulletin boards now is awful.  When you're replying, you get an eency little window that doesn't scroll as you type.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 07:33:56 am by Scott R »
I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.” ― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

JT

• Resident
« Reply #10984 on: October 21, 2014, 07:48:05 am »
Yeah, I'm pretty convinced (and have been for years) that Apple intentionally bugs and/or breaks older phones with new iOS updates, in order to encourage people to upgrade. I wait as long as I can to update. Once I do this time, I'm pretty sure I'll be jailbreaking soon after.

AnUnexpectedY

• Resident
« Reply #10985 on: October 21, 2014, 07:51:57 am »
Apple just writes the updates to take advantage of their latest ARM processor's powers. The fact that it also means older models that are still compatible are now slow as a result is just a side benefit (depending upon your perspective).

To put it in context, it's like saying my old Nvidia GTX260 video card can't run Skyrim well, therefore Bethesda is trying to get me to buy a new video card.

JT

• Resident
« Reply #10986 on: October 21, 2014, 07:57:12 am »
You're not going to convince me that there's not planned and forced obsolescence in the smartphone market, especially by Apple. I don't think I can prove it, by any stretch of the imagination. But I think it defies common sense to say it's not happening.

AnUnexpectedY

• Resident
« Reply #10987 on: October 21, 2014, 08:02:09 am »
The ARM platform is going through a renaissance, largely fueled by Google and Apple. They're making massive strides in getting insane performance out of it over very short periods of time.

Obsolescence is happening, and it is planned in as much as making your devices many times faster than models only a couple of years old can be called planned. There's certainly a marketing element involved in this, but I don't believe it is as heavy-handed as you think.

TheTick

• Resident
« Reply #10988 on: October 21, 2014, 08:03:00 am »
DOS isn't done until Lotus won't run.
Her trail went cold just outside the house.  Got bit by a dog, too.
Honk if you love justice!

JT

• Resident
« Reply #10989 on: October 21, 2014, 08:12:10 am »
Obsolescence is happening, and it is planned in as much as making your devices many times faster than models only a couple of years old can be called planned. There's certainly a marketing element involved in this, but I don't believe it is as heavy-handed as you think.

Well, I do admit to a certain amount of bias (in general) towards marketing and corporate strategy people. I did read a lot of Dilbert comics at an impressionably young age.

solo

• Resident
« Reply #10990 on: October 21, 2014, 01:21:40 pm »
There's certainly a marketing element involved in this, but I don't believe it is as heavy-handed as you think.

I think it is pretty heavy-handed.  They refuse to allow people to downgrade when the update cripples performance on their older phones even though this would satisfy these old customers but they aren't making money from these customers anymore so they don't really care about them unless they become a source of revenue again.
Now, the making of a good compilation tape is a very subtle art. Many do's and don'ts. First of all, you 're using someone else's poetry to express how you feel. This is a delicate thing.

Nighthawk

• Resident
« Reply #10991 on: October 22, 2014, 06:27:52 am »
Apple 1 from 1976 up for auction, expected to fetch upwards of $400K.
"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer..."

Darklight Interactive - "Omne ignotum pro magnifico"

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #10992 on: October 22, 2014, 06:31:26 am »
The Smithsonian computing exhibit has the first completed one, in its wooden handmade cover. Pure awesomeness.
It's a euphemism.