Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 317086 times)

Ela

• Resident
Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #10550 on: March 04, 2014, 02:18:04 pm »
So, I got an email from Imo.Im that they are discontinuing support for all third party instant messaging networks. Since my main purpose for using Imo was to have all my instant messaging networks on one mobile app, Imo is now useless to me.

Yes, I can still contact people using my Imo account. But vanishingly few of my friends use Imo.

Time to find a new mobile app that allows me to use all my instant messaging accounts on one app. I use Adium on the computer, but they don't have a mobile app.
"Autocomplete has failed me again..." - my son
---
A gentle dust bunny daydreams
---
Annoying little frog
---
I don't repeat gossip, so listen carefully.

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #10551 on: March 04, 2014, 09:34:44 pm »
My google nexus that I bought scarcely 2 months ago appears to be borked.   :'(  I guess I should have taken the "20% markup because we're selling you crap" thing they always offer at the register. 
I do not usually say this about a movie with as much nudity, cursing, and Christmassy stuff as this one has...  -Rivka

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #10552 on: March 04, 2014, 09:46:44 pm »
Ah, spacepook informs me it's the cord that's wiggly and not the port.  Okay, having less of an ulcer now.  Still have a raincloud over me head, though. 
I do not usually say this about a movie with as much nudity, cursing, and Christmassy stuff as this one has...  -Rivka

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #10553 on: March 05, 2014, 06:42:49 am »
Ugh. I hope it is just the cord. I think 90 days is a pretty standard warranty for phones even without the extra coverage. Have you checked that?
It's a euphemism.

"Stop and smell the data."- Nate Silver

"I love the smell of confirmation bias in the morning."-Steve Rogers

Yes, but it's clever when I do it.  -Jake

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #10554 on: March 05, 2014, 08:03:45 am »
It's a tablet, not a phone, but it seems to have charged alright.  I have reiterated to the kids that they are not to use it while charging (which was always supposed to be the deal) and it's home will no longer be in the corner of doom, which is a clutter hotspot of the living room where a lot of things we don't want Cedar to access wind up.  But it's become a vortex of cords, laptops, peripherals and what all.

JT

• Resident
« Reply #10555 on: March 07, 2014, 04:52:57 pm »
Picked up a linksys e3000 off of craigslist -- anybody have suggestions on the firmware to run it best on? dd-wrt, tomato, etc? I just need it as an access point for a single network, with maximum range and throughput (so the house and studio can both make use of the connection).
You should have seen me.  I was DEMOCRACY IN ACTION.  I picked up my ballot and said, "HELLS YEAH!!" and then when I stuffed it into the ballet box, I did it with so much panache and elan that I can't hardly wait for the novelization.

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #10556 on: March 09, 2014, 03:32:28 pm »
This is the culmination of several problems, but we have a profile we can't log into on this computer (which is Windows 7).  When we try it says "user service profile failed the logon". 
This is a problem because it is the only administrator profile for this computer.
I thought I had turned off the password.  But now that the profile is broken (and it has been persistently broken for a few weeks now) anything we try to do such as designate another admin or delete locked picture files requests a password, which I unfortunately cannot remember.  I believe I was using one a few months ago, but I was being good and not using any of my other commonly used passwords. 

So does anyone have ideas about fixing the admin profile, or otherwise circumventing this?  Another thing is the computer gets constipated after a few hours use.  Restarting fixes it, but my husband really wants to erase restore the hard drive's original settings.  We backed up in preparation for this a few months ago.  We've already tried googling some solutions, but haven't found anything yet. 

Nighthawk

• Resident
« Reply #10557 on: March 10, 2014, 09:35:26 am »
So I've just been told that I need to learn Ruby by Thursday...

Anyone have any recommended reading for that? Preferably online and to the point?
"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer..."

Darklight Interactive - "Omne ignotum pro magnifico"

fugu13

• Resident
« Reply #10558 on: March 10, 2014, 10:51:06 am »
Hmm, depends on purpose. Is this for Rails, Chef, one of the other places Ruby crops up frequently, or something more idiosyncratic?

Nighthawk

• Resident
« Reply #10559 on: March 10, 2014, 11:52:56 am »
I honestly have no idea. :P
"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer..."

Darklight Interactive - "Omne ignotum pro magnifico"

Bok

• Resident
« Reply #10560 on: March 11, 2014, 09:33:41 am »
Personally my favorite tutorial in any language/framework, and it's for Ruby/Rails:

http://ruby.railstutorial.org/

EDIT: Also potentially this: http://mislav.uniqpath.com/poignant-guide/

Of course YMMV, especially depending on the version of the language.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 09:35:37 am by Bok »

Manatee

« Reply #10561 on: March 16, 2014, 05:07:58 am »
@Pooka

What exactly are you trying to do, I'm not sure I understand? If you are trying to clear the hard drive you can just reformat  it, or reinstall windows.

Hobbes

• Resident
« Reply #10562 on: March 17, 2014, 05:27:05 am »
Someone sent an e-mail "from" my old, Hotmail account.  One I now use just for junk-mail purposes.  Or rather they sent it with that as the address but "via lcdlove.com", but to several people in my contact group.  Is this a problem I can do something about?

GoodyScrivener

• Resident
« Reply #10563 on: March 17, 2014, 07:36:49 am »
The "via (site)" tells me that there's probably a fill-in form to share content somewhere on that site. There's nothing you can do about that.  I'm a bit concerned about how they got access to your contacts, so I'd change passwords. And maybe a message blast to your contacts letting them know that you think your account may be compromised and not to follow any links or open attachments that they might receive?
I tried that back in the 60s. I'm not even sure where to find rolling papers big enough these days.

*radio hiss*  "This is Commander Slothstronaut to Ground Control. . ." *radio hiss*

Aqua regia: the cure for the Midas touch.

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #10564 on: March 17, 2014, 10:19:13 am »
Anyone else having issues with Google Chat this morning?
Sleep is when I commune with the interdimensional space slug who commands me.
--SteveRogers

Hobbes

• Resident
« Reply #10565 on: March 17, 2014, 10:21:21 am »
Yes

rivka

• Resident
--SteveRogers

Drew

• Veteran
« Reply #10567 on: March 17, 2014, 10:32:41 am »

Ela

• Resident
« Reply #10568 on: March 17, 2014, 10:36:56 am »
Thanks, I was wondering why that wasn't working right now.
---
---
Annoying little frog
---

Sparrow

• Resident
« Reply #10569 on: March 17, 2014, 11:04:19 am »
I was wondering what was wrong with my school's internet connection. Nooooo... Come back, Gchat! What will I do without you? :( Oh right... talk to my mom on AIM.
"Screw you, space-time continuum!" --CT

"Be that as it may, zucchinis strike me as a very odd medium in which to express one's wild side." --Hobbes

Formerly known as JaneX.

Ela

• Resident
« Reply #10570 on: March 17, 2014, 11:07:40 am »
( Oh right... talk to my mom on AIM.

You would be doing that anyway.  :lol:
---
---
Annoying little frog
---

Sparrow

• Resident
« Reply #10571 on: March 17, 2014, 11:13:20 am »
Yes, but now you're the only person I can talk to. I feel so cut off from the world. :'(

"Be that as it may, zucchinis strike me as a very odd medium in which to express one's wild side." --Hobbes

Formerly known as JaneX.

Sparrow

• Resident
« Reply #10572 on: March 17, 2014, 11:25:04 am »
Also, this article title totally misses the point. I use Gchat precisely because it's a way to talk to people that's not in person - and therefore doesn't drain my introvert battery.

Seriously, like a third of all my social interaction takes place on Gchat.

Formerly known as JaneX.

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #10573 on: March 17, 2014, 11:39:43 am »
Also, this article title totally misses the point. I use Gchat precisely because it's a way to talk to people that's not in person - and therefore doesn't drain my introvert battery.

Seriously, like a third of all my social interaction takes place on Gchat.
*nodnodnod*

It appears (from looking at my GChat list) to be functional now, except it doesn't actually WORK. I'm getting a lot of "[name] did not receive your chat" messages. :P

In some ways, this is worse than when it appeared all my chat contacts had simultaneously gone offline.
--SteveRogers

KarlEd

• Resident
« Reply #10574 on: March 17, 2014, 11:50:00 am »
I'm having problems with Chrome right now.  I thought it was my school's internet connection, too, but reading this thread makes me wonder if it's a general Google problem of some sort.  I got a "did not receive your chat" message when sending to Chris just now, too.  And a few minutes ago I got "Google cannot access page" when trying to get to sakeriver.
"This is why I order a margarita; the salt rim keeps the snails out." - Tante

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #10575 on: March 17, 2014, 12:36:08 pm »
I can now send chats, but a bunch of people who should be logged in on chat are not. And it's still orange on the stats page. So either my work IP is not affected (but home maybe still is), or their work location(s) are affected still.
--SteveRogers

KarlEd

• Resident
« Reply #10576 on: March 17, 2014, 12:38:52 pm »
Mine was all grayed out, but I re-launched gmail and now it appears to be working. 

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #10577 on: March 17, 2014, 06:02:43 pm »
Manatee, thanks.  We were trying to get some photos off but the best ones had been uploaded elsewhere.  I don't know if we can reformat without an admin account but since the guest account is all that works anymore, I guess we'll see.

Ela

• Resident
« Reply #10578 on: March 30, 2014, 12:42:17 pm »
This morning I got a notification from Apple that I can upgrade to Mavericks for free. I am currently using 10.6.8 on an old computer, so don't know if it's worth it to upgrade. Plus, a lot of my old software won't be compatible with Mavericks.

And a part of me is just a teensy bit suspicious. Since when has Apple given away that kind of software for free? I don't recall ever being able to upgrade to a new OS without paying. And why are they offering it for free now?

Questions, questions. ;)

---
---
Annoying little frog
---

Raja

• Harmonic Engineer
« Reply #10579 on: March 30, 2014, 02:12:42 pm »
They've been steadily dropping the price with each release since maybe 10.5. It just finally reached zero. They figured out from iOS that it makes things way easier for developers if they just give the new version away to spur adoption.

Mavericks has some nice tweaks, but if you're happy with what you've got now, I wouldn't bother. I told my mum (who has a MacBook on 10.6.8) the same thing.
"twinky" on Hatrack

JT

• Resident
« Reply #10580 on: March 30, 2014, 03:19:05 pm »
One thing looked definitely worth upgrading for me, and it was the ability to use apple tv as an extended desktop. Otherwise, I'm not sure it's worth it.
You should have seen me.  I was DEMOCRACY IN ACTION.  I picked up my ballot and said, "HELLS YEAH!!" and then when I stuffed it into the ballet box, I did it with so much panache and elan that I can't hardly wait for the novelization.

Ela

• Resident
« Reply #10581 on: March 30, 2014, 04:13:51 pm »
Well, even though the OS upgrade is free, there would be a big expense for software for me, as I still have software the needs Rosetta.

And it's an old MacBook with, I'm told, some corrosion on the inside due to having spilled water on it quite a long time ago. All the systems checked out when I took it to the Genius Bar a week ago and they ran full diagnostics, but they wouldn't replace the battery (which is the one item that didn't pass) cause of the corrosion. The battery still holds a charge, just not up to full capacity anymore.

So maybe I'll just stick with 10.6 for now.
---
---
Annoying little frog
---

Ela

• Resident
« Reply #10582 on: April 01, 2014, 10:43:16 am »
I just added AdBlocker to Firefox. Don't know why I waited this long, but I was motivated to do so now cause I'm fed up with a free video site I use that allows video ads to play simultaneously with the video I'm trying to watch. Hope it works.
---
---
Annoying little frog
---

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #10583 on: April 01, 2014, 08:46:32 pm »
It feels like Amazon has effectively put DRM back on their MP3s because I can't figure out how to move MP3s to an MP3 player.  I'm probably just freaking out because I have an exam tomorrow and the GRE the day after that and we owed sputnik MP3s from his birthday over a week ago and and and
:headasplode:
nevermind spacepook fixed it
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:55:26 pm by pooka »

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #10584 on: April 02, 2014, 07:03:55 pm »
We are trying to figure out what on earth is gobbling up all the space on one of the computers here at work. We've deleted or uninstalled all the obvious things with very little gain. Googling gave me recs for 3 programs:
WizTree
TreeSize
WinDirStat

Do any of y'all know anything about these (or alternatives)?
--SteveRogers

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #10585 on: April 02, 2014, 07:13:00 pm »
The only one I've used is TreeSize Free, but it worked great. It made it really easy to see which directories were taking up a lot of space.
"I am the living embodiment of the abstract concept of pudding." —TomDavidson

TomDavidson

• Señor Member
« Reply #10586 on: April 02, 2014, 07:36:09 pm »
I used to use WinDirStat, back in the day when disk space was a problem people had.
Indeed, a flavored hell goes deep sea fishing with some tripod defined by another hole puncher.

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #10587 on: April 02, 2014, 08:10:24 pm »
Thanks, Jonathon.

Tom, your suggestion and sarcasm are both noted.
--SteveRogers

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10588 on: April 02, 2014, 08:13:47 pm »
Go through all your documents and make the font size smaller!
I did too, because someone linked it and i'm easy like that. -Rivka

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #10589 on: April 02, 2014, 08:14:58 pm »
Or maybe just switch to a different font?
--SteveRogers

KarlEd

• Resident
« Reply #10590 on: April 02, 2014, 08:15:13 pm »
Go through all your documents and make the font size smaller!

OK, that made me LOL

KarlEd

• Resident
« Reply #10591 on: April 02, 2014, 08:15:47 pm »

Only if you switch to something sans serif.

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #10592 on: April 02, 2014, 08:18:30 pm »
I use the font of all knowledge.
It's a euphemism.

KarlEd

• Resident
« Reply #10593 on: April 02, 2014, 08:18:56 pm »
Goodness, your hard drive must be full indeed. 

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #10594 on: April 02, 2014, 08:20:18 pm »
Yes, but it's all commentary.
It's a euphemism.

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #10595 on: April 02, 2014, 08:21:41 pm »
Garamond isn't sans serif.
--SteveRogers

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10596 on: April 02, 2014, 08:22:20 pm »
Do both for double the savings!
I did too, because someone linked it and i'm easy like that. -Rivka

KarlEd

• Resident
« Reply #10597 on: April 02, 2014, 08:29:31 pm »
Garamond isn't sans serif.

The main takeaway I got from that article is that the government should be printing stuff with Chanel No. 5. 

Drew

• Veteran
« Reply #10598 on: April 10, 2014, 02:26:54 pm »
I would like for my Outlook/Exchange calendar to allow my coworkers to schedule to my calendar until the total booked hours exceed a threshold I specify. Currently, people can send me meeting requests and my calendar will always display my availability. I would like my calendar to appear fully blocked to others after the booked-hour threshold is reached. Is this possible, within Outlook or with a plugin?