Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 372567 times)

Dogbreath

• Veteran
Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #11500 on: August 17, 2015, 08:10:27 am »
Got sound on the Ubuntu box working just fine, I think maybe nuking the drivers and a clean install may have helped. Going to give it another go with Xubuntu tonight. (for Ubuntu is sluggish and full of terrors...)

Dogbreath

• Veteran
« Reply #11501 on: August 19, 2015, 07:11:36 am »
Got sound working with Mint! Had to download the latest test build of VB, but it seems like everything is running fine now. :)

The upside of this is it finally got me to try Mint (the Mate desktop flavor) and I have to say it's an absolutely beautiful OS - everything that Ubuntu isn't but should have been. I think I'll make it my main OS for a while. Anyone else use it?

Corwin

• Resident
« Reply #11502 on: August 19, 2015, 02:04:49 pm »
Hmm, I wanted to install Ubuntu next to my Windows 10. I just might try to go with Mint. Won't happen soon though.

Ducalion

• Veteran
I can just imagine you singing the blues on the doorstop, out into the dark night with the crickets and the stars. - CT
Damn, dude, you're like God's favorite cat toy. Stray

Dogbreath

• Veteran
« Reply #11504 on: August 19, 2015, 09:17:15 pm »
CVE-2015-2502 actually just addresses Internet Explorer versions 7-11. You can check technet to see if you're running a vulnerable version.

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #11505 on: August 19, 2015, 09:27:11 pm »
And check update history. My home computer installed that patch yesterday.
Everyone is a little bit off. Especially the perfectly normal people; they're terrifying. The trick is finding somebody who is crazy in ways that complement your own.
--TomDavidson

Ducalion

• Veteran
« Reply #11506 on: August 21, 2015, 05:42:41 pm »
I can just imagine you singing the blues on the doorstop, out into the dark night with the crickets and the stars. - CT

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #11507 on: August 21, 2015, 06:46:56 pm »
So effing frustrating. I don't really understand why data like this is ever not secure. I get that users sometimes are stupid and disclose their own info, but, you know...once something is IN the system getting at linked records of unencrypted personal identifying info and financial info simultaneously should be really impossible even if someone hacks it.
It's a euphemism.

"Stop and smell the data."- Nate Silver

"I love the smell of confirmation bias in the morning."-Steve Rogers

Yes, but it's clever when I do it.  -Jake

Dogbreath

• Veteran
« Reply #11508 on: August 21, 2015, 07:18:53 pm »
Dro: it's something I've said before, but it bears repeating: most of these leaks (and indeed, most cyber crime in general) is caused not by extremely clever hackers, but by incredibly inexcusably poor security practices. (the OPM breach is a particularly egregious example by an agency that really should have known better) These are for the most part things that *could* have been rather easily mitigated but weren't.

But yeah, the part about storing things like SSNs, credit card numbers, medical information, or other PII, or even passwords plaintext (which is something I happen to know a certain large financial services company does)  is completely absurd. IMO we need to see legislation that actually illegalizes stuff like that.

There are some things that there is *no* legitimate reason to ever store unhashed - passwords, security questions, SSNs (when used only for identification purposes), any other forms of authentication, and anything else that there is no reason to ever retrieve. (hashing being theoretically non-reversible)

Credit card numbers could probably fall under this too - I would rather have an online store authenticate my credit card information with a SHA-256 hash of my CC# (with the understanding that the agency would only accept that hash from approved vendors) and never store my CC# anywhere at all. That way, even if you manage to get a hash of my CC, it's for the most part functionally useless to you. (Rainbow tables, etc. aside, I mean, "it would take more money and time to get it than it's probably worth")

Everything else PII/PMI related - but might need to be retrieved - should be encrypted and stored in a manner that requires two-factor authentication to access. If it doesn't need to be readily accessed online, then it shouldn't be stored on a computer with an internet connection. If it only needs to be shared with certain agencies, then you should do so via a GRE tunnel with an implicit deny on all non-whitelisted devices and ports.

These aren't hard changes to make. Most existing infrastructure already supports it. It just needs to be passed into law with severe penalties for companies/organizations who are non-compliant, and with regular "cyber security inspections."
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:23:16 pm by Dogbreath »

Ducalion

• Veteran
« Reply #11509 on: August 26, 2015, 03:09:22 pm »
I'm able to get a lot of MS software for free, like multiple Visual Studios versions, .NET framework etc through this Dreamspark thing through the school. What would you guys recommend I get while the getting is good? I mean, I might as well take full advantage of the offers while I can, right?

TomDavidson

• Señor Member
« Reply #11510 on: August 26, 2015, 03:56:55 pm »
Get every single Visual Studio thing you can, and every server license they'll let you have. If you can grab a TechNet subscription, do so.
Indeed, a flavored hell goes deep sea fishing with some tripod defined by another hole puncher.

Ducalion

• Veteran
« Reply #11511 on: August 26, 2015, 04:10:12 pm »
BAH!!!!!! HUMBUG!!!!  even!!!!!!

Windows can be so friggin stupid sometimes. Tried using Daemon Tools for  installing 8 and no-go. Now I'm making a bootable  USB drive to see if that works.
Grrrrr....

dammit

Get every single Visual Studio thing you can, and every server license they'll let you have. If you can grab a TechNet subscription, do so.

Will do. Thanks Tom

Ducalion

• Veteran
« Reply #11512 on: August 26, 2015, 04:14:42 pm »
Another question. I have an old external HD that has a password on it that I don't know. It came in a box of  computer parts I bought  couple years ago. It's a WD External that uses the mini USB connection.

So what can I use to crack the PW? My normal PW cracker program (I only used it on customers computers that either forgot their PWs or didn't leave me  their PW when it was dropped off for repairs)

I know the PW hint is HA HA YEAH WHATEVA

Ducalion

• Veteran
« Reply #11513 on: August 26, 2015, 05:17:56 pm »
Have I mentioned how much I hate UEFI?

Ducalion

• Veteran
« Reply #11514 on: August 26, 2015, 05:25:02 pm »
And now I just lost everything on my new  puter HD

/sign

Ducalion

• Veteran
« Reply #11515 on: August 26, 2015, 07:48:39 pm »
So I had to tell the  CS in the HP chat support window 5 times that ALL partitions are now gone, including the Factory Restore partition and I had to insall a generic  version of Windows from MS and that the network drivers for my computer  on their site are not working

/sigh

Ducalion

• Veteran
« Reply #11516 on: August 26, 2015, 08:46:45 pm »
Installing W10 Pro allover again. Hoping this fixes the driver issues

Ducalion

• Veteran
« Reply #11517 on: August 27, 2015, 05:09:01 am »
Success. Only 2 drivers  weren't installed and those are likely for the card reader and the camera which I'm about to try to fix now

Dogbreath

• Veteran
« Reply #11518 on: August 27, 2015, 07:01:54 am »
Hmm, I wanted to install Ubuntu next to my Windows 10. I just might try to go with Mint. Won't happen soon though.

As something of an update/continuation of this discussion...

I ended up partitioning my HDD (you can shrink your partition pretty easily with Windows 10, it doesn't require you to format or anything), building 3 new partitions (OS, home and swap) and installed Mint. If you haven't already, you really should give it a test run with VB. It takes about 20 minutes to torrent the Mint Mate .iso, and you can have it fully up and running in less than an hour. I'm almost positive if you test it next to Ubuntu you'll prefer Mint - Ubuntu is just horribly bloated and ugly and terrible.

In the past week that I've been running Mint directly from the hard drive I've been really enjoying the experience. It's much, much faster than 10 is on my laptop, and is overall just cleaner and easier to use. Drivers are a little less intuitive (though Mint comes with all the basic ones you should need, and any better drivers are fairly easy to find and install) as are printers (your best bet is just to put in your printer's IP into the printer config rather than adding it by name), but overall it's been a rewarding experience. LibreOffice is sort of ugly, but it's a very capable and fully MS Office compatible. Everything else runs fine - I didn't use any MS proprietary software except for Office anyway. (and everyone but MS has Linux versions of their software available nowadays)

Corwin

• Resident
« Reply #11519 on: August 27, 2015, 07:10:26 am »
I'll probably do that. I don't care about MS Office, I already use LibreOffice a little, and Google Drive a lot. I keep Windows mostly for games and I don't think there's anything else that I could not get on Mint.

Ducalion

• Veteran
« Reply #11520 on: August 29, 2015, 03:37:49 pm »
Reinstall everything at once for those interested :)

Ducalion

• Veteran
« Reply #11521 on: August 29, 2015, 03:38:48 pm »

Dogbreath

• Veteran
« Reply #11522 on: September 01, 2015, 08:16:50 am »
A question for the programmers amoung us:

Do you use an IDE when writing code? Which one, and how often and why?

I'm a week into a Java Programming class (online) and the instructor is really pushing Eclipse. My experience with it so far is that it's clunky and not very helpful for the simple programs I'm writing, so I've just been writing my programs in a text editor (gedit) and compiling with the "javac" command. Does it become more efficient to use an IDE later on, or are they not worth the effort?

Raja

• Harmonic Engineer
« Reply #11523 on: September 01, 2015, 08:24:55 am »
I do, although it's a very lightweight one (RStudio). No way am I giving up tab completion, inline function definitions, etc, etc. The lack of decent environments is one of the things that annoys me most about Python, which is the other language I need to use from time to time.

All of my Java-coding colleagues at the office are switching from Eclipse to IntelliJ. None are writing Java in a text editor, but they're also working on small to medium scale projects with many dependencies, and IntelliJ generates a ton of boilerplate code for them that they'd otherwise have to write and debug by hand.

It's likely that I'll be learning Scala at some point in the future, and when that time comes, I'll be using IntelliJ from the get-go.
"twinky" on Hatrack

Nighthawk

• Resident
« Reply #11524 on: September 01, 2015, 08:45:11 am »

I'm a week into a Java Programming class (online) and the instructor is really pushing Eclipse. My experience with it so far is that it's clunky and not very helpful for the simple programs I'm writing, so I've just been writing my programs in a text editor (gedit) and compiling with the "javac" command. Does it become more efficient to use an IDE later on, or are they not worth the effort?

Yes, god yes, use an IDE! :)

I use Visual Studio 2013 for everything C# related, and the Jetbrains suites (IntelliJ, PyCharm, PhpStorm, WebStorm, CLion) for pretty much everything else.

If you're doing Java, I HIGHLY recommend IntelliJ IDEA. I hope the Community Edition. which is free, is enough for you. And it's based on Eclipse, so it should be fairly familiar.
"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer..."

Darklight Interactive - "Omne ignotum pro magnifico"

TomDavidson

• Señor Member
« Reply #11525 on: September 01, 2015, 09:43:10 am »
I use IntelliJ for Java, VS for all .NET languages, and Wing for Python.
Indeed, a flavored hell goes deep sea fishing with some tripod defined by another hole puncher.

fugu13

• Resident
« Reply #11526 on: September 01, 2015, 11:33:29 am »

A programmer with an IDE who knows how to use it will be many times more productive in Java (and most any other languages, though some languages benefit less). If you're just into a Java class it isn't surprising you haven't seen the power yet, though, an IDE really shines when you're doing real programming: libraries, organized projects, evolving requirements.

Eclipse had its day, but IntelliJ's definitely the default choice now.

Dogbreath

• Veteran
« Reply #11527 on: September 01, 2015, 02:01:11 pm »
I just downloaded IntelliJ IDEA I'm sure the community edition will work fine for my present needs. (We're all the way up to the point of making programs to solve word problems and so on... real advanced stuff here ;))

I'm coming from a scripting background with this being my first foray into real programming, and I think one of issues I had with Eclipse was the giant screens with radio buttons that just felt very unintuitive to me. So far IntelliJ seems a lot cleaner - it keeps the project data organized on the left, and the code auto-complete suggestions are really nice (especially since I'm brand new, it saves me from stopping to look stuff up every 30 seconds or so) and ctrl-J for live template insertion seems useful as well, but it still leaves most of the space for me to write code while it helps (creating/showing a matching closing bracket for a code block when you type '{', letting you shrink and expand code blocks, I'm sure lots of other features) rather than having me configure everything from menus - most of which I have no idea what they're for. I'm sure I'll have more to say about it once I've used it for more than 15 minutes. :)

Thanks for the responses!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 02:03:14 pm by Dogbreath »

Bok

• Resident
« Reply #11528 on: September 01, 2015, 07:14:04 pm »
Ctrl-space is your friend in IntelliJ or Eclipse. Learn it. Love it.

I use Sublime Text for Elixir, which is a great little language with an even better community.