Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 335723 times)

Jake

• Administrator
  • Resident
Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #10850 on: September 10, 2014, 07:52:34 am »
My current phone is the Galaxy Note 3, and I love it. I don't have any particular loyalty to Samsung because of it, and when this one in ancient will pick my next phone based on reviews of the current models.
So which one of you wants "America in arms against to find places stick and" and which one wants "is an race itself continually new to and"?
Dagonee

Dagonee

• Resident
« Reply #10851 on: September 10, 2014, 08:10:33 am »
Does anyone know of a book that's widely recognized in the field that discusses common misleading practices in the presentation of statistics. For example, manipulation of the scale of a graph, or the comparison of ratios with percentages.
There are times we must try hard to find meaning. I understand that. I don't understand when we try hard to find malice. -Nathan Fillion

Bok

• Resident
« Reply #10852 on: September 10, 2014, 08:12:38 am »
The only one I know of is Nate Silver's pop treatment, The Signal and the Noise. Never heard of an academic book.

fugu13

• Resident
« Reply #10853 on: September 10, 2014, 09:43:10 am »
It sounds like you're looking for a more formal treatment as opposed to a colloquial discussion? For the latter, I'd read John Allen Paulos' books, Innumeracy and A Mathematician Reads the Newspaper.

On the slightly academic side, Gelman & Nolan have a book on teaching statistics with a chapter on lying with statistics, available for free from Gelman's site here: http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/bag-of-tricks/chap10.pdf

This article from Gelman & Stern covers in depth one particularly under addressed way statistics are used misleadingly (people assume that the difference between significant and not significant is significant): http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/published/signif4.pdf

This covers practical details of how Gelman himself has noticed he makes mistakes when working with data, and steps to take to avoid them; it may also be useful for noticing when those mistakes have been made: http://andrewgelman.com/2013/04/17/data-problems-coding-errors-what-can-be-done/

This website is one of the better surveys I've seen, though aimed at problematic analysis in scientific papers: http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/mks/statmistakes/StatisticsMistakes.html

Oh, just found this one, but it looks pretty good: http://www.statisticsdonewrong.com

Dagonee

• Resident
« Reply #10854 on: September 10, 2014, 09:49:53 am »
Thanks, bok and fugu. At least one of those should fit the bill.
There are times we must try hard to find meaning. I understand that. I don't understand when we try hard to find malice. -Nathan Fillion

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #10855 on: September 10, 2014, 10:57:46 am »
how to lie with statistics is the classic here. It may be too colloquial, but it is widely recognized.
It's a euphemism.

"Stop and smell the data."- Nate Silver

"I love the smell of confirmation bias in the morning."-Steve Rogers

Yes, but it's clever when I do it.  -Jake

fugu13

• Resident
« Reply #10856 on: September 10, 2014, 11:09:43 am »
Yeah... I always have a hard time recommending it because Huff is not a statistician and was also a smoking industry shill (and not just on occasional engagement, but for a decade plus; he was even working on an apologetica entitled How To Lie With Smoking Statistics).

Raja

• Harmonic Engineer
« Reply #10857 on: September 10, 2014, 04:22:38 pm »
My experience with the Galaxy Nexus definitely turned me off Samsung phones (or other products they manufacture that contain antennas). We are, however, very happy with our Samsung refrigerator.

I've got a Moto X and love it. When it's time for a new phone, I'll only be considering models that deliver a stock or near-stock Android experience and are not manufactured by Samsung. I expect whatever iteration of the Moto X line is current then to be a contender.
"twinky" on Hatrack

theCrowsWife

• Resident
« Reply #10858 on: September 10, 2014, 04:26:04 pm »
I just got a Moto X myself. It's my first smartphone, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I love it.

--Mel
"All we who ask too much and have a dimension too many could not contrive to live at all if there were not another air to breathe outside the air of this world, if there were not eternity at the back of time; and this is the kingdom of truth."

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #10859 on: September 10, 2014, 04:33:37 pm »
I went from a Nexus 4 to a Nexus 5 (I broke the 4 :( ) and they are both great.  I'm not actually planning to exclude other brands or platforms next time I shop for a phone, but I'll definitely look at whatever Google is offering in this line.
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

Drew

• Veteran
« Reply #10860 on: September 10, 2014, 10:44:44 pm »
In general I'm forgiving of brands over time but tend to go off them at least a bit after a bad experience. My experience with the HTC One has me off the HTC brand for a while. I was waiting to see if the iPhone 6 would entice me back to iOS, but it didn't, so I ordered a OnePlus One. I'm kind of scared of using a phone this big, but...well, we'll see.

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #10861 on: September 10, 2014, 10:59:23 pm »
I think the rounded back should help with the size.  My N5 sometimes feels a little too wide for one-handed use, but I have a flat-backed bumper case on it.  Without the case it's pretty comfortable even with the slightly tapered edges.  (But I lost the N4 due to no bumper case so I'm living with one now. :/)
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #10862 on: September 11, 2014, 07:11:09 am »
My husband has a Galaxy S5.  He's used it throughout several home improvement projects.  I didn't even worry about it getting him killed when we did the 2 story scaffold.  I was much more worried about him not having a phone with him.  There was a point during assembly when my shirt got caught on a thing and I thought I might have to lose my shirt or stop lifting.  I managed to get it untangled.
That seems to be consistent with what she said.
-Jonathon

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10863 on: September 13, 2014, 01:56:18 pm »
I want to utilize the dead space on the right with bullet points like on the left. How would one do this?

I did too, because someone linked it and i'm easy like that. -Rivka

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #10864 on: September 13, 2014, 02:05:27 pm »
If this is in Word, define columns and play around with it until you get the look you want.
It's a euphemism.

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10865 on: September 13, 2014, 02:19:22 pm »
If this is in Word, define columns and play around with it until you get the look you want.
It is Word. When you say define columns, which toolbar is that found under?

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10866 on: September 13, 2014, 02:21:03 pm »
Also, there is text above it I do not want moving left or right.

dkw

• Resident
« Reply #10867 on: September 13, 2014, 02:22:53 pm »
Insert a section break (continuous) just above and below the section you want to divide into columns. 
Nobody puts Baby in a binder.
                                            -- Smeraldina

Drew

• Veteran
« Reply #10868 on: September 13, 2014, 03:02:03 pm »
It is Word. When you say define columns, which toolbar is that found under?
Page Layout, for both defining columns and inserting breaks as dkw describes.

Mucus

• Veteran
« Reply #10869 on: September 13, 2014, 03:17:27 pm »
You might also be able to use an invisible table.

Dagonee

• Resident
« Reply #10870 on: September 13, 2014, 04:35:59 pm »
Yeah, I find tables work better for that.

ElJay

• Resident
« Reply #10871 on: September 13, 2014, 05:01:55 pm »
Also, an ID card is not a skill or activity. ;)
"MY testicle story is awesome." -quis

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10872 on: September 13, 2014, 06:43:50 pm »
Also, an ID card is not a skill or activity. ;)
Right now my resume has a lot of things that are not where they should be. Lot's of shuffling things around.

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10873 on: September 13, 2014, 06:51:21 pm »
Also, invisible table totally did the trick. Thanks guys.

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #10874 on: September 13, 2014, 07:41:27 pm »
The only trouble with doing it in tables is you lose some flexibility with the bullets and spacing, but yeah, that is certainly an option. There is an advantage to tables, though, in that it is easier to move and copy if you need the same arrangement elsewhere. Tables also let you do so e things like background colors more simply.
It's a euphemism.

Dagonee

• Resident
« Reply #10875 on: September 13, 2014, 08:07:05 pm »
What flexibility do you lose? If you set the padding to 0 all around, then the paragraph spacing within it will be the same as if the table isn't there.

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #10876 on: September 13, 2014, 08:27:18 pm »
I've often found that using bullets inside a table gets 'fiddly'. It's not just the spacing from the cell border, but it's also not as easy to align things. Not saying it can't be done to a satisfactory level, but that it takes extra fiddling that isn't there when just using bullets in a column. It also bugs me that the interface interprets a tab after a bullet as go-to-next-cell inside the table. Slows me down having to remember not to tab. Don't get me wrong, though, I use both. The table thing is a good solution.
It's a euphemism.

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #10877 on: September 15, 2014, 08:58:01 am »
Can someone who knows the HTML5 standard confirm whether the <i> and <b> tags have been deprecated? My understanding is that they're still allowable when you need to apply the formatting but don't want the semantics of <em> or <strong>. It looks like this backs me up, but someone at work is saying that both a programmer and the head of tech support told her they're deprecated.
"I am the living embodiment of the abstract concept of pudding." —TomDavidson

TomDavidson

• Señor Member
« Reply #10878 on: September 15, 2014, 09:07:53 am »
Short answer: no.
Medium answer: no, but kinda.
Long answer: no, but they're meant for specific purposes: http://lachy.id.au/log/2007/05/b-and-i
Indeed, a flavored hell goes deep sea fishing with some tripod defined by another hole puncher.

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #10879 on: September 15, 2014, 10:05:24 am »
So it sounds like I was right. Now I just need to decide whether it's worth arguing about.
"I am the living embodiment of the abstract concept of pudding." —TomDavidson

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10880 on: September 17, 2014, 07:12:26 pm »
I need recommendations for a font for my presentation tomorrow. I need it to be easy to read, simplistic, but nice to look at, as the presentation is for a company that is seeking investment from angel investors. The personality of the firm is pretty informal and relaxed, so I'm trying to reflect that.

TheTick

• Resident
« Reply #10881 on: September 17, 2014, 07:33:20 pm »
Comic San--*sound of a distant gunshot*.
Her trail went cold just outside the house.  Got bit by a dog, too.
Honk if you love justice!

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #10882 on: September 17, 2014, 07:36:34 pm »
Distant, nothing.

*stalks*
I'm now officially a licensed Texas crazy-person-driver.
--racingbird

fugu13

• Resident
« Reply #10883 on: September 17, 2014, 07:52:03 pm »
BlackBlade: Frutiger Std. Myriad Pro. Proxima Nova or Proxima Sans. Glasgow. Eurostile. DF Dynasty. Seravek.

One of those should capture a startup-y personality category you're trying to hit. All found by perusing http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/08/08/80-beautiful-fonts-typefaces-for-professional-design/ , and there are some others that would be good too (though I wouldn't use any of the ones I didn't pick out pre-Seravek; I just figured that was enough to start with).

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10884 on: September 17, 2014, 09:51:10 pm »
Thanks fugu.

Ducalion

• Veteran
« Reply #10885 on: September 26, 2014, 09:41:46 pm »
Had to perform emergency surgery (in the form of replacing my hard drive because it started failing today). Got the OS installed, drivers. Some of my software. Tomorrow will be spent  removing my music from the old drive and reinstalling all my  games and software. After I go pressure wash a house
FREE COGNITO!!!!!!!!

Assimilation is futile. You will be resis.... DOH! /goes back to the drawing board

I can just imagine you singing the blues on the doorstop, out into the dark night with the crickets and the stars. - CT