Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 407780 times)

Human

• Resident
Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #11850 on: August 10, 2016, 12:32:35 pm »
Looking at the phrasing, it really does sound as simple as "something overloaded the network, we're not sure what yet, just know that we're on it."
The spear in the Other's heart is the spear in your own - you are he.
--Surak

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #11851 on: August 10, 2016, 03:55:31 pm »
With the caveat that so many other schools were also affected by the same DDos, so it's not like they really did anything wrong.

:D
It's a euphemism.

"Stop and smell the data."- Nate Silver

"I love the smell of confirmation bias in the morning."-Steve Rogers

Yes, but it's clever when I do it.  -Jake

Who needs OSHA when you've got a Bob? :) JT

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11852 on: August 10, 2016, 04:13:40 pm »
Okay, I just got JT's joke. :D
"I'm 87% sure Jonathon is 100% correct." —Scott R

GaalDornick

• Veteran
« Reply #11853 on: August 10, 2016, 05:21:32 pm »
I'm going to rub some egg on my face and ask for an explanation. I do know what a DDoS is, but I'm not getting it and now I'm overanalyzing it

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #11854 on: August 10, 2016, 05:54:32 pm »
I'm going to rub some egg on my face and ask for an explanation. I do know what a DDoS is, but I'm not getting it and now I'm overanalyzing it
I'm with you.
It's great to enjoy your work, because you spend a lot of time doing it, but it is even better to enjoy your life.
--ElJay

ketchupqueen

• Resident
« Reply #11855 on: August 10, 2016, 05:57:09 pm »
See the Mormon thread- they are being investigated for how they investigate rape allegations.

Their response was "yeah but so are other schools!"
Psychic abilities with a side of synesthesia. -CT

ElJay

• Resident
« Reply #11856 on: August 10, 2016, 05:58:11 pm »
"It's weird when I wake up in the morning and I have arms and legs and not wheels, because I relate to being a car so much more."

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #11857 on: August 10, 2016, 06:14:31 pm »
I participated in that thread.  :-[
It's great to enjoy your work, because you spend a lot of time doing it, but it is even better to enjoy your life.
--ElJay

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11858 on: August 10, 2016, 06:47:28 pm »
I'm the one who started both conversations, and it still took me a while.

KarlEd

• Resident
« Reply #11859 on: August 10, 2016, 08:37:37 pm »
I thought it was brilliantly subtle, JT. 
"Wishes and mathematics are both just things in our heads, but only one of them is immediately useful for getting to the moon." - Shigosei

"This is why I order a margarita; the salt rim keeps the snails out." - Tante

JT

• Resident
« Reply #11860 on: August 11, 2016, 05:17:49 am »
Thanks. :)
You should have seen me.  I was DEMOCRACY IN ACTION.  I picked up my ballot and said, "HELLS YEAH!!" and then when I stuffed it into the ballet box, I did it with so much panache and elan that I can't hardly wait for the novelization.

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #11861 on: August 11, 2016, 05:35:56 am »
I see what you did there, JT.

I missed it until you said something. <laugh>
I did too, because someone linked it and i'm easy like that. -Rivka

Human

• Resident
« Reply #11862 on: August 11, 2016, 06:26:18 am »
Augh. I missed it too. Sly, JT!
The spear in the Other's heart is the spear in your own - you are he.
--Surak

GaalDornick

• Veteran
« Reply #11863 on: August 11, 2016, 06:37:38 am »
Disclaimer next time! ;) I have never ventured into that thread and I turned my brain into a pretzel trying to figure it out.

Corwin

• Resident
« Reply #11864 on: August 23, 2016, 07:00:13 am »
Does anyone own a 3rd generation Kindle Paperwhite? My 1st generation Paperwhite is nearing the end of its life, and I'm wondering what to buy next. A coworker has a Kindle Oasis which looks and feels great but I don't think the price difference is really worth it. I haven't considered the Voyage, whose main difference seems to be the adaptive lighting, but again, the price difference seems too big.

Scott R

• Scooter
« Reply #11865 on: August 23, 2016, 08:16:38 am »
A little less than a year ago, I bought my oldest daughter a Dell Inspiron 3147. The DC adaptor in the machine crapped out about a month ago; we sent it back to them for repair.  They originally quoted us $150, which my daughter already paid; they called yesterday to say that there was a problem with the pins from the DC adaptor to the motherboard, and that they were going to have to replace the motherboard instead.

The laptop cost about $400.  The motherboard replacement was going to cost $300.

I decided to buy my daughter a new laptop ($360), and repair the old one myself (because she needs a laptop for school and we need a...newer one for home).  Looks like I can get a motherboard for $50; and a DC power jack for $10.

So, some laptop repair is in my future.
I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.” ― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

Zalmoxis

• Resident
« Reply #11866 on: August 23, 2016, 08:24:33 am »
It seems like if that was the issue they should do the replacement for free. That's a pretty big problem to crop up with a laptop less than a year old.
If the gentle vacuum cleaner buries an eggplant around a spider, then a revered tornado dies.

Scott R

• Scooter
« Reply #11867 on: August 23, 2016, 08:48:13 am »
Yeah, I said the exact same thing. They said it's not covered by warranty.
I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.” ― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

GaalDornick

• Veteran
« Reply #11868 on: August 23, 2016, 08:50:27 am »
For some weird reason, sometimes when I connect my phone to my car through bluetooth and open up Google Play, it will immediately start playing my voicemails (even deleted ones) as a file on Play. This morning when I opened the app it started playing my sister's voicemails through my car's speakers.  :o  :o  :o

We're on the same family plan, but she has an iPhone and I have a Galaxy S7 and there has never been any sort of connection between our phones to somehow transfer her voicemails to be stored on my phone

Geeks of Sakeriver...what in the world is happening here?

GoodyScrivener

• Resident
« Reply #11869 on: August 23, 2016, 08:54:18 am »

SkyNet.
I tried that back in the 60s. I'm not even sure where to find rolling papers big enough these days.

Aqua regia: the cure for the Midas touch.

The desire to eat one's offspring is only just barely weaker than the desire to see them survive.

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #11870 on: August 23, 2016, 09:23:57 am »
Nah. Gaal's car is possessed.
--ElJay

GaalDornick

• Veteran
« Reply #11871 on: August 23, 2016, 09:41:24 am »
 :D

Jake

• Petra from Thailand
  • Administrator
« Reply #11872 on: August 23, 2016, 10:08:08 am »
On my work computer, I was in the midst of an instant message when my system started entering multiple characters for each keystroke. Through trial and error, I've discovered that it functions normally if I hold down the function key while typing. WTF?
Yay! It's probably a chemical burn!
-Shigosei

one contained locus of ew
-Tante

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11873 on: August 23, 2016, 10:23:41 am »
For some weird reason, sometimes when I connect my phone to my car through bluetooth and open up Google Play, it will immediately start playing my voicemails (even deleted ones) as a file on Play. This morning when I opened the app it started playing my sister's voicemails through my car's speakers.  :o  :o  :o

We're on the same family plan, but she has an iPhone and I have a Galaxy S7 and there has never been any sort of connection between our phones to somehow transfer her voicemails to be stored on my phone

Well, it sounds like you have an app or carrier service that delivers voicemails as audio files to your phone, where they are picked up by Play.  So I'd bet there's a bug in that service.  (Not a very satisfying speculation, sorry.)
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

Zalmoxis

• Resident
« Reply #11874 on: August 23, 2016, 10:48:43 am »
That's annoying, Scott.

That's also annoying, GaalDornick.

But I'm pretty sure Jake brought whatever he did on himself.
If the gentle vacuum cleaner buries an eggplant around a spider, then a revered tornado dies.

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11875 on: August 23, 2016, 10:51:06 am »
On my work computer, I was in the midst of an instant message when my system started entering multiple characters for each keystroke. Through trial and error, I've discovered that it functions normally if I hold down the function key while typing. WTF?

Sounds like the jig is up, Petra from Thailand!

Zalmoxis

• Resident
« Reply #11876 on: August 23, 2016, 10:52:52 am »
::nods::

GaalDornick

• Veteran
« Reply #11877 on: August 23, 2016, 10:58:54 am »

Well, it sounds like you have an app or carrier service that delivers voicemails as audio files to your phone, where they are picked up by Play.  So I'd bet there's a bug in that service.  (Not a very satisfying speculation, sorry.)

It sounds about right. I have AT&T, but when I had an iPhone voicemail was integrated much cleaner. On my Galaxy, I had to play around a bit to create a shortcut, so I think it's the phone, not the carrier. It's my sister's voicemail thing that is bizarre and I can't imagine what kind of bug is sending her voicemail to my Play app. I even checked all my files and don't see any of her voicemails stored here.

Jake

• Petra from Thailand
  • Administrator
« Reply #11878 on: August 23, 2016, 11:15:43 am »

Sounds like the jig is up, Petra from Thailand!
I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about.
-Shigosei

-Tante

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #11879 on: August 23, 2016, 11:43:32 am »
Petra is not from Thailand. She's just visiting. ;)
--ElJay

Jake

• Petra from Thailand
  • Administrator
« Reply #11880 on: August 23, 2016, 12:29:49 pm »
Not having any idea what you're talking about, I can't really weigh in 9n one side or the other on this one.
-Shigosei

-Tante

Zalmoxis

• Resident
« Reply #11881 on: August 24, 2016, 06:45:31 am »
I hate to say it because my daughter has one, but you might want to crack the books on your Nook, and if you're thinking of purchasing a non-Kindle e-reader, it's probably a good idea to go with Kobo.

Mod: Fixed link.

Zal: Thanks! Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:19:13 am by Zalmoxis »

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #11882 on: August 24, 2016, 09:11:18 am »
The ghost in the machines is trying to send you all messages. The Chinese manufacturing sites for all of these electronic devices were all sited on ancient burial grounds.
It's a euphemism.

"Stop and smell the data."- Nate Silver

"I love the smell of confirmation bias in the morning."-Steve Rogers

Yes, but it's clever when I do it.  -Jake

Who needs OSHA when you've got a Bob? :) JT

grannypat

• Resident
« Reply #11883 on: August 24, 2016, 12:09:23 pm »
Help! Nothing critical, just a question about email. I use xfinity (Comcast) and have for years. One person to whom I send mail fairly regularly says my mail to him now ends up in his junk folder - and has for the last couple of weeks. His email address hasn't changed - any ideas why this might be happening? The only difference on my end is that I'm using Safari now instead of Firefox, as Firefox was crashing regularly. I will start up Firefox and send him an email and see if that makes any difference, although he says Paul's emails are going into his junk folder too, and Paul is on a PC and hasn't changed his browser.
"Clearly, you were brought up right."  - Rivka, posting to ElJay

Raja

• Harmonic Engineer
« Reply #11884 on: August 24, 2016, 12:25:45 pm »
Browser shouldn't matter. Once he finds one of your emails in his junk folder, he should be able to add your emails to his whitelist and/or reclassify them as not junk, depending on what email client he uses.
"twinky" on Hatrack

grannypat

• Resident
« Reply #11885 on: August 24, 2016, 02:06:27 pm »
Thanks, Raja.  :) I was thinking the fix would likely be at his end. My email sent from Firefox also went into his junk folder.
"Clearly, you were brought up right."  - Rivka, posting to ElJay