Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 351013 times)

pooka

• Resident
Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #11100 on: November 29, 2014, 09:45:50 am »
I want to move to Century Link but now that there is xfinity wifi all over downtown, we will probably stay put.  Though I don't know how often we've actually used it.  It wouldn't connect yesterday when we were by the U.
That seems to be consistent with what she said.
-Jonathon

Zalmoxis

• Resident
« Reply #11101 on: December 10, 2014, 04:08:02 pm »
Comcast is telling us that we need to upgrade our modem. I've done some research that says that we probably don't need to do so right away but will need to in the near future because at some point they will phase out DCSIS 2.0. 

Because they're forcing this issue, I'm thinking it's time to buy rather than rent (which is what we have, perhaps foolishly been doing). Anybody have any resources (or specific products) they can point me to?
If the gentle vacuum cleaner buries an eggplant around a spider, then a revered tornado dies.

Drew

• Resident
« Reply #11102 on: December 10, 2014, 04:15:15 pm »
Comcast is telling us that we need to upgrade our modem. I've done some research that says that we probably don't need to do so right away but will need to in the near future because at some point they will phase out DCSIS 2.0. 

Because they're forcing this issue, I'm thinking it's time to buy rather than rent (which is what we have, perhaps foolishly been doing). Anybody have any resources (or specific products) they can point me to?
This happened to us too. We didn't need to do so right away either, but I wish we had, because our connection just started cutting out randomly, for hours at a time, a couple times a day. I reviewed Comcast's approved devices list, did some recommendation reading, and ended up buying this modem.

For me the key things were:
- DOCSIS 3.0
- Capable of 144 Mbps down
- Does NOT have an integrated router or wi-fi broadcasting: this is especially important to me because if you do have this capability, Comcast will (without your permission) activate it to broadcast xfinity broadband, turning your home into an unwilling semi-public access point.
- Price under $80

Zalmoxis

• Resident
« Reply #11103 on: December 10, 2014, 04:29:17 pm »
Thanks, Drew. I figured there was some catch when they said they wanted to offer us a modem with wi-fi. And I've seen one of those access points in the list of networks in my apartment building. As in: it's the only one that isn't secured.

I already have a wireless router that works just fine.
If the gentle vacuum cleaner buries an eggplant around a spider, then a revered tornado dies.

Drew

• Resident
« Reply #11104 on: December 10, 2014, 04:34:31 pm »
Yup, always a catch with Comcast.

If you do buy a modem, when you call to activate it make sure they transfer you to billing after you're done, so you can confirm they're removing the rental fee. They 'forgot' to remove mine when I bought my first modem. Also note that, conveniently, the billing office hours and tech support office hours are not the same.

Zalmoxis

• Resident
« Reply #11105 on: December 10, 2014, 04:35:02 pm »
Brilliant.

Nighthawk

• Resident
« Reply #11106 on: December 19, 2014, 07:24:45 am »
Prove the Riemann Hypothesis, get a free ballpoint pen! ... Hurry, offer expires 12/30/2018!

Man, that must be a really cool pen! Especially given that the solution is worth quite a few pens...
"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer..."

Darklight Interactive - "Omne ignotum pro magnifico"

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #11107 on: January 03, 2015, 09:43:45 pm »
So certain specific Youtube videos have stopped loading for me. The solution seems to be unchecking hardware acceleration and disabling ad-block on Firefox. Does anybody have any recommendations for a plugin that can replace ad-block without also scuffing up Youtube?
I did too, because someone linked it and i'm easy like that. -Rivka

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11108 on: January 03, 2015, 10:03:44 pm »
You should be able to whitelist Youtube. Maybe it's not the best solution, but it's better than turning off Adblock altogether.
"I always thought of Lech Walesa.  :shrug:  Now that is a man with a fine looking moustache." —pooka

Teshi

• Resident
« Reply #11109 on: January 04, 2015, 04:40:55 am »
I don't have a problem with adblock and YouTube. I do occasionally struggle with tv station streaming sites.

AnUnexpectedY

• Resident
« Reply #11110 on: January 07, 2015, 02:16:50 pm »
I prefer to think of myself as a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur!

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #11111 on: January 08, 2015, 02:10:45 am »
If my windows 8 laptop wont recognize SD cards, is there a trick or is it just probably broke?  I've tried different cards.
-Jonathon

Corwin

• Resident
« Reply #11112 on: January 08, 2015, 04:18:13 am »
I have what is essentially an enormous electromagnetic pseudopod that I use for feeling worlds.  --Jake

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #11113 on: January 08, 2015, 05:13:03 am »
Thank, I'll try that.
-Jonathon

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #11114 on: January 08, 2015, 09:55:37 am »
So certain specific Youtube videos have stopped loading for me. The solution seems to be unchecking hardware acceleration and disabling ad-block on Firefox. Does anybody have any recommendations for a plugin that can replace ad-block without also scuffing up Youtube?

By way of updates, I found a newer version of Adblock (From November), and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11115 on: January 19, 2015, 11:44:31 am »
So we got the boys Minecraft for Christmas, and now they want to install a bunch of mods. I installed a few without any problem, and then I tried installing one that put a pretty nasty adware virus on the computer. Does anyone have any recommendations for good mods or advice on where to find them?
"I always thought of Lech Walesa.  :shrug:  Now that is a man with a fine looking moustache." —pooka

AFR

• Regular
« Reply #11116 on: January 19, 2015, 12:42:11 pm »
We've had the same problem. My kids have had Minecraft for a couple years now and every time they've tried to install a mod, I have to figure out how to de-install some malware or bloatware. So far our solution has been to not allow any mods. Of course, it might go differently if I were watching over their shoulder as they tried to download the mod. They've tried to do it on their own without asking, and that's partly why they don't get to do it anymore.
Long live Thom

dkw

• Resident
« Reply #11117 on: January 19, 2015, 12:45:06 pm »
We don't allow mods.

Now John is madly learning Java so he can create his own mods.
Nobody puts Baby in a binder.
                                            -- Smeraldina

AFR

• Regular
« Reply #11118 on: January 20, 2015, 08:08:53 am »
Which IMO is an awesome alternative. If they can create it, they can play it. :) My son has been working on a game in Unity for a school project. I'm much more willing to give him time on the computer for that than I am for letting him watch an endless string of Minecraft Youtube videos. Yesterday he said he was very interested in becoming a software engineer. I'm glad he's so interested in it!
Long live Thom

Jake

• Administrator
  • Resident
« Reply #11119 on: January 20, 2015, 09:24:07 am »
That's really cool, AFR.
one contained locus of ew
-Tante

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #11120 on: January 20, 2015, 06:44:09 pm »
Autofilter?
You know, I actually know how to use that feature and it never occurred to me to use it for this. I had to add a line with a pretend name (to be the default, because it won't let me have no names selected), but that's trivial.

Perfect!

Thanks. :)
Papa, I just wanted to thank you again for this elegantly simple solution. Makes such a difference for me this time of year.

Thanks. :)
Some people feel like anything different is good.  Terror is different.
--pooka

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #11121 on: January 20, 2015, 08:10:05 pm »
Which IMO is an awesome alternative. If they can create it, they can play it. :) My son has been working on a game in Unity for a school project. I'm much more willing to give him time on the computer for that than I am for letting him watch an endless string of Minecraft Youtube videos. Yesterday he said he was very interested in becoming a software engineer. I'm glad he's so interested in it!
That's really awesome!

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11122 on: January 22, 2015, 08:40:16 am »
Thanks for the advice, AFR and dkw. I'm not completely against letting them have mods, but I certainly don't want them installing anything themselves, and it's a big hassle for me to investigate every mod they want myself.

Scott R

• Scooter
« Reply #11123 on: January 22, 2015, 09:00:49 am »
We don't allow mods.

Now John is madly learning Java so he can create his own mods.

Is there a site that has Java progrmming for kids?  Inkling would be very interested.
I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.” ― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

dkw

• Resident
« Reply #11124 on: January 22, 2015, 09:22:47 am »
John's taking a course through http://www.youthdigital.com/

They have 1/2 price offers on Groupon fairly frequently.
Nobody puts Baby in a binder.
                                            -- Smeraldina

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #11125 on: January 22, 2015, 12:51:40 pm »
We have minecraft on the Xbox.  Which is funny since the reason we originally got an Xbox was to keep sputnik from monkeying up the PC.  When he was 4.  Now he wants a Playstation.  But yeah, there was several months (a year?) before minecraft for Xbox launched when it was a constant battle over stuff he wanted to do in minecraft that I wasn't sure about, and my husband was too busy to address because he was in law school. 
-Jonathon