Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 343384 times)

Scott R

• Scooter
Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #11050 on: November 18, 2014, 06:35:47 am »
It might also be helpful if you mention what you're using now and what you do/don't like about them?

I'm using standard, dollar store earbuds. 

I write on the way to and from work.  I'd like to have something that blocks out the radio of whoever's car I'm riding in, so I don't have to have the distraction of listening to their preferences for news/music and my preferences.  Definitely DON'T need something that will drown out club noise.  :)
I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.” ― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

TomDavidson

• Señor Member
« Reply #11051 on: November 18, 2014, 07:06:51 am »
You might not need active noise cancellation for that. If not, I'd strongly recommend a good pair of Sony over-the-ear monitors (the MDR-V6 and MDR-7506 are both classics). That said, if you can tolerate earbuds -- I can't, and I've never found a pair I like -- you might want to stick with them; larger headphones are less portable and more off-putting to others. I can't make any earbud recommendations, sadly.
Indeed, a flavored hell goes deep sea fishing with some tripod defined by another hole puncher.

AnUnexpectedY

• Resident
I prefer to think of myself as a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur!

Drew

• Resident
« Reply #11053 on: November 18, 2014, 11:50:16 am »
It might also be helpful if you mention what you're using now and what you do/don't like about them?

I'm using standard, dollar store earbuds. 

I write on the way to and from work.  I'd like to have something that blocks out the radio of whoever's car I'm riding in, so I don't have to have the distraction of listening to their preferences for news/music and my preferences.  Definitely DON'T need something that will drown out club noise.  :)
Got it, so you don't really need much noise isolation/cancellation at all. In that case, I would strongly recommend starting with these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EM8008/

They come with a few size options for the ear pieces. If one of them works for you, these will likely be all you need. I've bought literally hundreds of pairs of these for office use in crowded/noisy environments, because they are such an unbelievable value.

If they don't work for you, you're out $7.

solo

• Resident
« Reply #11054 on: November 19, 2014, 02:21:38 am »
I'd agree with Drew here.  The in-ear buds work great for what you are talking about and the Panasonic ones are great quality for the money.
Now, the making of a good compilation tape is a very subtle art. Many do's and don'ts. First of all, you 're using someone else's poetry to express how you feel. This is a delicate thing.

« Reply #11055 on: November 20, 2014, 06:28:00 am »
This came up during work, how fast would celery have to accelerate to kill a human being? Or would it disintegrate into particles before it did?
AH WILL NOT BECOME ON'ER YER UNDHEAD MHINIONS!! IF Y KILL MEH, Y'LL HAVE TO KHILL ME F'REAL!!! AH AM AHLIVE!! AH WILL NOT SUFFA BE'N PAHLY DEAHD!! Ohh... Wheapon trails.. Pretty.. -- Largo.

Hobbes

• Resident
« Reply #11056 on: November 20, 2014, 06:30:25 am »
More context is needed to answer this.  How much celery?  Where is it?  How long until it hits you?  Do you mean how fast would it have to accelerate, or how fast would it have to be going when it hits you?

Also: if this is an otherwise, everyday scenario: a lot of other forces would destroy it before it became a bunch of particles.

Teshi

• Resident
« Reply #11057 on: November 20, 2014, 06:40:04 am »
This sounds like a fantastic What If? question.

Sam

• Regular
« Reply #11058 on: November 20, 2014, 06:43:13 am »
i just thought about this for way too long, presuming that at sufficient velocity in a vacuum a single cell of celery could be used to punch through to someone's sinoatrial node and create a fatal arrythmia, if penetration of the skull was harder. this is all probably bogus but i'm really working on the leading edge of hypothetical celery lethality so some failed hypothesis is expected

JT

• Resident
« Reply #11059 on: November 20, 2014, 07:54:51 am »
Whenever I develop celery-based weapons for the counter offensive, my army is going to destroy. Because I'm going to freeze the celery first.
You should have seen me.  I was DEMOCRACY IN ACTION.  I picked up my ballot and said, "HELLS YEAH!!" and then when I stuffed it into the ballet box, I did it with so much panache and elan that I can't hardly wait for the novelization.

Drew

• Resident
« Reply #11060 on: November 20, 2014, 09:15:56 am »
EDIT: all gone.
I've got a OnePlus One invite, finally, so if you want it please reply here. It expires in 6 days and they are pretty hard to come by, so please don't ask for it unless you are sure you're going to buy the phone. First come, first served—except AnUnexpectedY, since I know you wanted one, I have a second one I'm holding for you.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:40:26 am by Drew »

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #11061 on: November 20, 2014, 09:37:10 am »
It's not immediately clear to me why I should want one. But you often know things in the tech arena I don't. So would you be willing to point me in a direction where I can learn more? I'm very happy with my Note 2, but it won't last forever.
I did too, because someone linked it and i'm easy like that. -Rivka

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #11062 on: November 20, 2014, 09:39:25 am »
How old is this celery?
It's a euphemism.

"Stop and smell the data."- Nate Silver

"I love the smell of confirmation bias in the morning."-Steve Rogers

Yes, but it's clever when I do it.  -Jake

Drew

• Resident
« Reply #11063 on: November 20, 2014, 10:39:34 am »
It's not immediately clear to me why I should want one. But you often know things in the tech arena I don't. So would you be willing to point me in a direction where I can learn more? I'm very happy with my Note 2, but it won't last forever.
Google some reviews, they will explain things better than me. But the tl;dr version is that the OPO is not really special in any way, it's just a very inexpensive alternative to top-of-the-line offerings from Samsung, etc. The OPO would have noticeably better hardware than a Note 2 but I don't think the hardware alone justifies an upgrade, personally.

The Genuine

• Have Mercy
« Reply #11064 on: November 20, 2014, 10:28:50 pm »
Why don't Windows or Office come with .pdf tools (at least a printer)?

Why instead must we suffer with XPS Document Writer?
Excuse me; I'm making perfect sense.  You're just not keeping up.

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #11065 on: November 20, 2014, 10:50:17 pm »
Why instead must we suffer with XPS Document Writer?
Because you have not yet downloaded and installed CutePDF?
British cuisine has a few stellar offerings amidst a great wash of horror and served with a side of peas.
--Dro_Trebor

The Genuine

• Have Mercy
« Reply #11066 on: November 20, 2014, 10:57:57 pm »
I prefer the free PDFill bundle.

But since apparently Adobe doesn't claim exclusive rights to .pdf generation and manipulation, I'm interested in why Microsoft chooses to roll with XPS.  Are they trying to start a second "browser" war?
Excuse me; I'm making perfect sense.  You're just not keeping up.

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11067 on: November 20, 2014, 11:25:07 pm »
I think starting with the 2007 version you can save as PDF directly.  You do need an add-in from MSFT.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/word-help/print-share-and-protect-files-in-the-pdf-and-xps-file-formats-HA010167527.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HA010064992
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #11068 on: November 21, 2014, 03:10:51 pm »
Is open office capable of exploding and killing my whole laptop?  Or was it an innocent bystander?
That seems to be consistent with what she said.
-Jonathon

GoodyScrivener

• Resident
« Reply #11069 on: November 21, 2014, 07:29:07 pm »
2010 allows me to save to PDF. And we use PDFill at work now, after having to uninstall and reinstall CutePDF for some reason - and discovering that the CNet download came bogged down with malware.
I tried that back in the 60s. I'm not even sure where to find rolling papers big enough these days.

Aqua regia: the cure for the Midas touch.

The desire to eat one's offspring is only just barely weaker than the desire to see them survive.