Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 403575 times)

BlackBlade

• Resident
Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #11800 on: July 01, 2016, 09:26:27 am »
How did I not know that?  I've been CTRL+SHIFT+LEFTARROW to highlight then backspace.  Long enough that I probably won't be able to overcome the muscle memory to use the more efficient method.
I totally do this and thought it was a big improvement over tapping backspace. I'm going to try to unlearn my muscle memory and use ctrl + backspace.
I did too, because someone linked it and i'm easy like that. -Rivka

GaalDornick

• Veteran
« Reply #11801 on: July 01, 2016, 09:29:46 am »
Whoa. Game changer.

Bok

• Resident
« Reply #11802 on: July 01, 2016, 09:55:40 am »
Also, CTRL+LEFT/RIGHT_ARROW Skips words when moving around.

CTRL+HOME goes to top of document/web page, CTRL+END does the opposite.

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11803 on: July 01, 2016, 11:18:58 am »
Just reverse engineered some undocumented URL API features in one of the products I use at work.  I am not sure if I should be pleased or smack myself upside the head for investing the time.
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #11804 on: July 03, 2016, 05:35:18 am »
I use backspace.

Hangs head in shame.
It's a euphemism.

"Stop and smell the data."- Nate Silver

"I love the smell of confirmation bias in the morning."-Steve Rogers

Yes, but it's clever when I do it.  -Jake

Who needs OSHA when you've got a Bob? :) JT

quis

• Resident
« Reply #11805 on: July 05, 2016, 04:51:09 pm »
Anyone else trying Google Fi? My newest old phone has been acting odd, so now I'm trying this giant (the smallest one) phone on google's wacky experiment.
spidermisandrist

RowanTree

• Resident
« Reply #11806 on: July 05, 2016, 06:01:42 pm »
So basically it's Google cloning Republic Wireless' model?
"All we who ask too much and have a dimension too many could not contrive to live at all if there were not another air to breathe outside the air of this world, if there were not eternity at the back of time; and this is the kingdom of truth."

Jake

• Administrator
  • Resident
« Reply #11807 on: July 05, 2016, 06:56:40 pm »
I got an account, back when they were still limited (they could still be, I don't know), but I haven't actually started using it. I'll be curious to hear what you think.
Yay! It's probably a chemical burn!
-Shigosei

one contained locus of ew
-Tante

quis

• Resident
« Reply #11808 on: July 05, 2016, 07:11:51 pm »
More or less, but works in more countries. Two of the three providers they use in the US are the same as RW.

I tend to think of everything google does aside from gmail and search as an experiment because they'll probably just cancel it. Remember Reader? Or Listen?

Bill's pretty happy with it compared to Verizon. He had both active for a while and every time he checked, the Fi had a faster connection. I just got mine set up this evening.
spidermisandrist

JT

• Resident
« Reply #11809 on: July 05, 2016, 07:13:22 pm »
One of my favorite bloggers is a big fan: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015/09/20/google-fi-review/
You should have seen me.  I was DEMOCRACY IN ACTION.  I picked up my ballot and said, "HELLS YEAH!!" and then when I stuffed it into the ballet box, I did it with so much panache and elan that I can't hardly wait for the novelization.

Bok

• Resident
« Reply #11810 on: July 05, 2016, 08:26:08 pm »
I got into Fi, but since I am tethered to iOS so much, it is nigh impossible for me to buy a compatible phone and switch.

Scott R

• Scooter
« Reply #11811 on: July 12, 2016, 11:18:13 am »
We're looking at ditching the desktop altogether and purchasing a couple laptops instead.

Our desktop is old enough that if we were to buy a new desktop, we'd likely need a new monitor-- so we'd need to tack at least an extra $100 on it.

Whatever I purchase, I'd like to get something that we can use for, say 5 years (our current desktop is twice that age, at least).

Refurbished is fine.

I've looked on Amazon and Dell Outlet (dell is doing a black friday in july sale this friday...that might be something to attend).

What the computers would be used for:

1) Homework
2) Surfing the web
3) Streaming videos
4) Playing minecraft
5?) Playing Mass Effect Andromeda and/or the next Elder Scrolls game
6) Designing flyers / stuff for Crickit/Silhouette.
7) Editing home videos

#5 is what's going to cost $$...
I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.” ― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

GaalDornick

• Veteran
« Reply #11812 on: July 12, 2016, 12:06:43 pm »
How much storage do you need? If you need less than 500GB I'd spring for a solid state drive over a hard drive.

GaalDornick

• Veteran
« Reply #11813 on: July 12, 2016, 12:11:03 pm »
I'm not sure how long these codes are going to be valid for but on Dell Outlet's refurbished refurbished/scratch/dent desktops you can use C35%XPSINS for 35% off desktops and c30%XPSINsp for 30% off laptops.

TomDavidson

• Señor Member
« Reply #11814 on: July 12, 2016, 12:53:11 pm »
The Mass Effect requirement is the only challenge. How firm is that?
Indeed, a flavored hell goes deep sea fishing with some tripod defined by another hole puncher.

Scott R

• Scooter
« Reply #11815 on: July 12, 2016, 05:44:00 pm »
The Mass Effect requirement is the only challenge. How firm is that?

Well, it's what *I* want most, but I guess I'm old enough for my wants not to drive the cost up by $300...

:)
I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.” ― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

vpwilli

• Resident
« Reply #11816 on: July 15, 2016, 02:19:41 pm »
Is anyone familiar with this? Is it malware as I suspect. I believe I picked it up after clicking on a site from facebook. Win10 Edge shut down and posted a blue screen with a bunch of error statements covered by a white page that starts out, "This site says serious malfunction in windows 10 and Microsoft Edge. Call xxxxxxx for MS-certified technician......" 
"Closing the MS Edge browser has been disabled to avoid corruption of the registry."

All other programs appear to be working normally. I am posting this using Chrome on te\he infected computer. If I open the Edge browser It reverts to the screen with the error messages and "letter."

Tough to look up a fix when I don't know what it is called. I have trouble believing that calling the number from the letter is the right answer.

vpwilli

• Resident
« Reply #11818 on: July 15, 2016, 02:33:33 pm »
Thanks Drew. Looks promising. I will try it when I get back home this evening.

It worked, thanks again.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 07:11:25 pm by vpwilli »

Zalmoxis

• Resident
« Reply #11819 on: July 20, 2016, 10:45:43 am »
Scrivener on iOS is what may lock me into the Apple ecosystem. I still have to try it out, but so far everything looks very, very good. 
If the gentle vacuum cleaner buries an eggplant around a spider, then a revered tornado dies.

Drew

• Resident
« Reply #11820 on: July 21, 2016, 09:50:06 am »
Tesla is making: a semi truck, a pickup, a city bus, and an app that will let you turn your Tesla into a self-driving Uber while you're not using it.

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #11821 on: July 21, 2016, 10:01:13 am »
Not to mention a solar panel / home battery device that should be EZ mode to install.

Can't wait to see how the next 10 years pan out.

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #11822 on: July 21, 2016, 10:14:26 am »
Also, can't wait to see how on Earth Musk plans to finance all this.

Zalmoxis

• Resident
« Reply #11823 on: July 25, 2016, 12:56:57 pm »
I have a new-ish but relatively low-powered (i3 processor) refurbished computer that we use for web browsing, photo processing/storage (backed up to Google Drive), Minecraft and Portal. Is there any reason to upgrade it to Windows 10? We're likely in the next 18 months to either replace it with a faster PC or an Apple product. If Windows 10 will a) truly offer better security and b) possibly run faster, then I'll consider attempting the upgrade, but I kinda don't see the point. 
If the gentle vacuum cleaner buries an eggplant around a spider, then a revered tornado dies.

Zalmoxis

• Resident
« Reply #11824 on: July 25, 2016, 08:43:29 pm »
Well, it did it anyway even I thought I had told it to cancel. But everything seemed to go smoothly, and I did do a custom install and turn off a lot of the auto-reporting back to Microsoft options.