Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 358872 times)

Jonathon

• Velvet J
Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #11200 on: April 04, 2015, 09:08:44 am »
I'm trying to figure out what to do about Windows. Windows 10 probably comes out in a few months, and I've heard that you can upgrade from 8.1 for free. I don't know how much it'll be to upgrade from 7.

I've only played around with Windows 8 a little bit, but I didn't like it. So if 10 is anything like 8, maybe I'll be happy sticking with 7. But if I am going to upgrade, I don't want to spend extra money to do so.

Has anyone here been playing around with the Windows 10 preview? If so, What are your thoughts?
"I always thought of Lech Walesa.  :shrug:  Now that is a man with a fine looking moustache." —pooka

Drew

• Resident
« Reply #11201 on: April 04, 2015, 10:17:26 am »
I'm trying to figure out what to do about Windows. Windows 10 probably comes out in a few months, and I've heard that you can upgrade from 8.1 for free. I don't know how much it'll be to upgrade from 7.

I've only played around with Windows 8 a little bit, but I didn't like it. So if 10 is anything like 8, maybe I'll be happy sticking with 7. But if I am going to upgrade, I don't want to spend extra money to do so.

Has anyone here been playing around with the Windows 10 preview? If so, What are your thoughts?
It will be free to upgrade from 8 and 7, so you're safe to wait.

I'm using the 10 technical preview now. I don't really notice it vs. 7, except for the bugs, and I use the search way more.

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11202 on: April 04, 2015, 10:32:38 am »
I like 10 so far, but I've only played with it for an hour or less.  They found a better balance between mobile-friendly design and a familiar desktop experience, compared to 8.
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11203 on: April 04, 2015, 05:52:27 pm »
Thanks, guys. And that's really good to know that it'll be a free upgrade from 7 too.
"I always thought of Lech Walesa.  :shrug:  Now that is a man with a fine looking moustache." —pooka

Teshi

• Resident
« Reply #11204 on: April 05, 2015, 05:45:17 pm »
Sidenote: when I visit my brother I'm going to get a tour of his work at Microsoft in Redmond. I'm nerdily excited.

Jake

• Administrator
  • Resident
« Reply #11205 on: April 05, 2015, 07:34:42 pm »
That should be interesting!
one contained locus of ew
-Tante

imogen

• Resident
« Reply #11206 on: April 05, 2015, 11:16:09 pm »
I'm thinking of restarting my blog(s) before our big trip, but I think I might just buy a domain name instead of using blogger.  Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap (or free!) blogging platforms I could use on it?
If a camel is on you, you are probably living your last minutes. Good time to sing to God.  - Anna

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11207 on: April 05, 2015, 11:21:03 pm »
I'm betting Wordpress, although I'm not personally using it.  It's one of the most popular platforms there is.
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

TheTick

• Resident
« Reply #11208 on: April 06, 2015, 05:17:27 am »
The Samsung EVO 850 120gb drive is $59 at Newegg today (the 'shell shocker' deal).  edit:  The 500gb is $189.  Would kind of love that for my laptop, but not after just spending on a desktop.

Wordpress would probably be the simplest to use.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 05:39:23 am by TheTick »
Her trail went cold just outside the house.  Got bit by a dog, too.
Honk if you love justice!

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11209 on: April 06, 2015, 08:05:49 am »
I just paid $69.99 for it on Amazon, but it looks like they're having the same sale. I'll see if I can get my $10 refunded.

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11210 on: April 06, 2015, 08:08:27 am »
I'm thinking of restarting my blog(s) before our big trip, but I think I might just buy a domain name instead of using blogger.  Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap (or free!) blogging platforms I could use on it?

I've never used Blogger, so I don't know how it compares, but I've used WordPress for years and have always been happy with it. It's really easy to set up, and there are a lot of great free themes and plugins, so it's very customizable.

grannypat

• Veteran
« Reply #11211 on: April 06, 2015, 08:38:41 am »
I also use WordPress (though for our church website, not a blog) and agree that it is very easy to use and customizable.
"Clearly, you were brought up right."  - Rivka, posting to ElJay

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11212 on: April 08, 2015, 07:16:23 pm »
I finally got all my components and started putting it together, and I've run into a problem. The case supports a 120mm or 140mm all-in-one water cooler, and I bought a 140mm model. But apparently if I use one that size, I'm limited to just one 2.5" drive and a graphics card longer than about 8 inches. With a smaller cooler, I should be able to install one 3.5" drive and one 2.5" drive (or three 2.5" drives) and a graphics card up to 10.5 inches.

I would return the cooler and get a smaller one, but I had to modify the backplate just a little bit to get it to fit on my motherboard. I didn't realize that not everything would fit until it was too late.

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11213 on: April 08, 2015, 07:25:03 pm »
I think what I'll do is just buy a 120mm model from the same company (since they use the same installation hardware), keep the modified backplate, and return the 140mm one with the other backplate.

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #11214 on: April 13, 2015, 03:37:50 pm »
New work computer. I don't want to say how old the previous one was, but it was running XP.

It has a really nice, really BIG new screen. And I got to keep my old screen too, so I have a 2-screen setup.

Getting used to dealing with two screens and Office 2013 will take some adjustment, but that's ok.

So far Outlook doesn't seem to be set up properly though, and the tech guy won't be back until tomorrow evening. :P I can access emails via OWA, but it is SUCH a pain, and it doesn't let me access my archives and Notes and such. (Correction: I can view Notes but cannot edit them. Ok, that helps a little.) Internal database access is fine, but it's not recognizing my printer, so I can't run any printed reports.

And I think my eyes need me to increase the screen size settings again. Medium is just not cutting it. (Geez, I only turned 41 last week!)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:44:50 pm by rivka »
Some people feel like anything different is good.  Terror is different.
--pooka

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #11215 on: April 13, 2015, 05:43:34 pm »
I gave up on blogger because my posts would always turn out with no paragraph breaks.  I have a (cough) few wordpress sites.  Down from several. 
That seems to be consistent with what she said.
-Jonathon

Drew

• Resident
« Reply #11216 on: April 20, 2015, 08:56:38 am »
In case anyone is still interested in the OnePlus One, they're now available without an invite, forever: https://blog.oneplus.net/2015/04/open-sales-for-the-oneplus-one-forever/

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11217 on: April 20, 2015, 09:22:04 am »
I'm only slightly tempted to stop using the protective case on my Nexus 5.  Not that I'd intend to drop it or anything. 
-- Jonathon

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #11218 on: April 20, 2015, 01:15:51 pm »
I just tried out Skype Translate for the first time in Chinese. Holy smokes that program is coming among beautifully. You do have to get used to training yourself to not speak in a conversational rhythm, rather wait for the translation to come through when you speak and when spoken too. And if you say lapse from Chinese into English the program is going to try to hear Chinese. It can't yet auto-detect language.

But when both speakers are doing it correctly, the text to text and voice to voice translation was outstanding. As in, I don't think it misunderstood me once in English, and the translation to Chinese was subsequently also very good. It only works for Windows 8.1 devices, but I'm sold on the utility of this thing. I can't wait to call my dad later today and play with it some more.

Edit: One downside is that all translate calls are recorded, so as far as using this for business down the road it's going to be a no go for now.
I did too, because someone linked it and i'm easy like that. -Rivka