Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 386314 times)

Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #11700 on: February 11, 2016, 12:04:17 pm »
Yeah. That's why I do this. Job security in vanity.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

Ela

• Resident
« Reply #11701 on: February 11, 2016, 12:05:01 pm »
What about the iWork for Mac apps: Pages, Numbers, and Keynote? Has anyone used those? If so, how do you like them and what is their compatibility with files created in MS Office Suite?

I've only used them on mobile devices (iPad, iPhone), not sure how they are on a computer.

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is—I seem to remember reading a forum thread saying that a lot of other people on El Capitan were having trouble—but it's a constant source of frustration.
Yeah, when I googled MS Office Suite 2016 for Mac, some of the hits were articles about the complaints with MS Office 2016 and El Capitan. I just didn't know if the problems have been worked out yet. Sounds as though they haven't.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:11:22 pm by Ela »
"Autocomplete has failed me again..." - my son
---
A gentle dust bunny daydreams
---
Annoying little frog
---
I don't repeat gossip, so listen carefully.

« Reply #11702 on: February 11, 2016, 12:24:54 pm »
Sure, I've used them. They're fine. There are some cross-compatibility issues that crop up every once in a while, but you're going to find that with any non-MS Office application suite. Apple definitely also pushes using its native format over exporting, but you can do it. If you don't care that your docs all end in .pages or .numbers or .keynote, then there's no reason not to use them.

If you have a Mac newer than, say, 2013, they should have come free with your computer.

Ela

• Resident
« Reply #11703 on: February 11, 2016, 12:30:30 pm »
Don't the Apple apps have an option to save as .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx? I know that the old Appleworks did, so would surprise me if the current apps don't allow this.

And, yeah, my computer is mid-2009, so didn't come with the apps. Before I upgraded from 10.6.8, I was using MS Office 2004.
---
---
Annoying little frog
---

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11704 on: February 11, 2016, 12:37:29 pm »
What about the iWork for Mac apps: Pages, Numbers, and Keynote? Has anyone used those? If so, how do you like them and what is their compatibility with files created in MS Office Suite?

I've never given them a try. Whenever I've worked on a Mac at work, it's been in an Adobe Suite/Microsoft Office environment, so I don't know how they compare.
"I'm 87% sure Jonathon is 100% correct." —Scott R

« Reply #11705 on: February 11, 2016, 12:46:48 pm »
Don't the Apple apps have an option to save as .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx? I know that the old Appleworks did, so would surprise me if the current apps don't allow this.

Yes, and they largely work. However, there are occasions where opening the exported file in Office will result in small formatting issues. Not always, but sometimes. As I said, this is true of really any of these applications.

It's also worth noting that Apple will keep trying to get you to use .pages for Pages documents, as an example. You'll have to keep managing it manually or give up and just use .pages.

Ela

• Resident
« Reply #11706 on: February 11, 2016, 12:51:49 pm »
Since I've been using NeoOffice and fighting their default "save as .odf" and so forth in order to save things as .docx, .xlsx and .pptx, I don't think that would be an issue for me.
---
---
Annoying little frog
---

Ela

• Resident
« Reply #11707 on: February 11, 2016, 01:16:16 pm »
I will say that one thing I've liked about NeoOffice was that I have found it easy to use it when I need to type in Hebrew. Other word processing apps seem to have had trouble with that in the past, don't know if that's still the case.

And turns out I must have made a $10 donation to NeoOffice in the last year. When I entered my email address on their site, the .dmg started downloading. So guess I'll see how it works till I decide what to do.

Maybe I'll wait for MS and Apple to work out the bugs in MS 2016 and then buy it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 01:22:23 pm by Ela »
---
---
Annoying little frog
---

« Reply #11708 on: February 11, 2016, 02:20:56 pm »
Yeah. Apple figured out context-dependent language typing a few OSes ago (it was sketchy in 10.7 and good in 10.8 ). Pages should be fine. I also remember it was easy to turn it on in Libreoffice.

Word was terrible at it for Office 2011, though. I don't know about 2016 because I'm no longer supporting a linguistics department at a university.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:23:04 pm by Stephen Fried Steak »

Ela

• Resident
« Reply #11709 on: February 11, 2016, 04:02:37 pm »
Thanks for the info.

Oh, and I just figured out that LibreOffice used to be Open Office. Duh!  :-[

I'll stick with NeoOffice for now. If I have issues, I'll try LibreOffice. If the iWorks apps come free on a new Mac, not worth it for me to buy them, old as my Mac is. I'm expecting it to die any month now. ;) (It's throwing some I/O errors, but only occasionally, don't know if that means my hard drive is failing, but I'm backing up frequently, just in case.)

---
---
Annoying little frog
---

racingbird

• Resident
« Reply #11710 on: February 11, 2016, 06:24:30 pm »
Google sheets especially  has been a pain in the butt for my students.  No option to set a y intercept when we have limited data collection time and materials means we get some weird crap in lab reports.
A turn signal gives a pink slip to a jersey cow over an apartment building.

Ela

• Resident
« Reply #11711 on: February 11, 2016, 06:33:11 pm »
Interesting thing about Google docs, a couple of times I was sent documents via email that didn't open up properly in NeoOffice when I downloaded them, so I opened them in Google Drive and downloaded them from there. And then I could open and view them in NeoOffice.
---
---
Annoying little frog
---

Sparrow

• Resident
« Reply #11712 on: February 11, 2016, 06:33:38 pm »
I've heard good things about Pages' ability to handle Hebrew. Never tried it myself.
"Screw you, space-time continuum!" --CT