Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 331078 times)

fugu13

• Resident
Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #10800 on: August 04, 2014, 09:49:51 am »
Mostly it means yet more evidence the teams google have running product are both not very good and constantly meddled with.

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10801 on: August 04, 2014, 11:18:58 am »
TOO MANY NESTED CONDITIONALS!

<brain explodes>
I see an explosion of #name #name and #div0.
I did too, because someone linked it and i'm easy like that. -Rivka

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10802 on: August 05, 2014, 08:37:05 am »
I'm trying to plan out my time each day in Excel. What I'd like to do is have the yellow cell under "Time spent" sum all the cells that have an X in the "Done" column.

Here is what my sheet looks like,

http://gyazo.com/91d97a12d741db57f18b6e597b2c8608

TomDavidson

• SeƱor Member
Indeed, a flavored hell goes deep sea fishing with some tripod defined by another hole puncher.

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10804 on: August 05, 2014, 09:05:16 am »
Yeah, I though sumif. But I'm not sure how to setup the criteria so it looks for an X in the appropriate column and then sums the number.

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10805 on: August 05, 2014, 09:08:06 am »
I've got =SUMIF(E:F,"=x",C:C) but that only seems to Sum the "Not Done" column.

edit: I've removed the Xs from the Not Done column, and am only putting an X when something is done.

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10806 on: August 05, 2014, 09:10:51 am »
I got it working.

« Reply #10807 on: August 05, 2014, 01:41:32 pm »
With regards to turning mobile data off on an android phone is data is/only enabled then for wifi? I cancelled my data plan (yay it was free! No fees!) so I want to make sure that data is only used when I'm connected to wifi.

Following that guide works right?
AH WILL NOT BECOME ON'ER YER UNDHEAD MHINIONS!! IF Y KILL MEH, Y'LL HAVE TO KHILL ME F'REAL!!! AH AM AHLIVE!! AH WILL NOT SUFFA BE'N PAHLY DEAHD!! Ohh... Wheapon trails.. Pretty.. -- Largo.

Shigosei

• Resident
« Reply #10808 on: August 17, 2014, 02:29:50 pm »
I got an old Droid X from my brother and need to replace the battery. Amazon has a bunch for around $7 being sold by various third-party vendors. Looks like more official outlets are selling it for closer to $20. From reading the reviews, it sounds like the ones on Amazon may be somewhat used. I don't have a data plan, so I doubt I'll be using the phone extensively; I'm not sure how important it will be to have really good battery life. Any advice?

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #10809 on: August 17, 2014, 02:39:01 pm »
I don't know specifically about the Droud X, but all of my android phones have developed battery life problems over time. Sometimes it has been because some background apps become activated when the OS updates and it takes awhile for me to figure out what unneeded thing is running done the battery. Other times it has just been that the battery is getting old and tired.

If you don't mind swapping batteries a lot, you can charge one whole using the other, is suppose.

I've had good luck with third party sellers, but I've read bad things as well.

Me, I would take a chance on a cheaper battery, and if it didn't work well, I'd just be out a few bucks.
It's a euphemism.

"Stop and smell the data."- Nate Silver

"I love the smell of confirmation bias in the morning."-Steve Rogers

Yes, but it's clever when I do it.  -Jake

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #10810 on: August 17, 2014, 10:08:30 pm »
Cheap, non-OEM lithium ion batteries are known to explode or cause fires from time to time.  The chances are low - it's probably not more likely to happen to a typical user than various other risks we accept every day - but decreasing that chance is one of the things you pay for when you spend a bit more on an OEM battery. 
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

fugu13

• Resident
« Reply #10811 on: August 17, 2014, 10:10:36 pm »
Yeah, I'd always spend on OEM batteries. Even more the case with OEM/licensed chargers -- knockoff chargers have killed people.

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #10812 on: August 18, 2014, 05:56:48 am »
I've had no such problems, but it'd be a good idea to look at where the supplier is based. I think the reports of fires and explosions are all from unregulated suppliers out of Asia.
It's a euphemism.

Tante Shvester

• Resident
« Reply #10813 on: August 18, 2014, 06:59:38 am »
But everything comes out of Asia.  How am I supposed to know who is regulating and being regulated?
If you weren't already in my sig, you would be now - Porter
I want to be buried in clown clothes, so I'll be extra scary in the event of  zombie epidemic. - Captain America
You should always follow your instincts - except for when they are wrong. - Moxie

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #10814 on: August 18, 2014, 08:16:11 am »
But everything comes out of Asia.  How am I supposed to know who is regulating and being regulated?
I could tell you first hand stories about Chinese manufacturing and quality control that would have you sprinting back to the hospital and checking every single medical device for Made in China markings.

Shigosei

• Resident
« Reply #10815 on: August 18, 2014, 09:40:42 am »
The Amazon listings say they're OEM. Whether or not that's true is hard to gauge, of course.

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #10816 on: August 18, 2014, 10:04:12 am »
I would (naively) assume that with Amazon as the supplier of record, you would be safe.

By supplier, I meant to imply the scenario where you went online, through maybe eBay, and picked an item without paying attention to where they shipped from. I've done that and received stuff direct from SouthEast Asia, and it was okay, but it dud make me concerned enough that I didn't leave the power supply plugged in and unattended.

Amazon, even if it is a third party seller, has some reasonable assurance behind it. I think...again, I could be fooling myself.
It's a euphemism.