Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 363013 times)

TomDavidson

• Señor Member
Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #11250 on: May 02, 2015, 05:39:17 am »
Is there a reason you want to use your motherboard's audio and not the default HDMI audio that you're getting from your video card?

IIRC, Nvidia's latest control panel software includes an option to turn off HDMI audio. Is that option present in your version?
Indeed, a flavored hell goes deep sea fishing with some tripod defined by another hole puncher.

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11251 on: May 02, 2015, 09:21:29 am »
I was wrong about there not being an option for onboard audio in the UEFI. Apparently it's called Azalia, and it's already enabled.

I assume you've already tried powering off and back on and fully removing the new board and reinstalling the old one? Just suggesting eliminating obvious physical problems. Could be you got a bad board.

I haven't tried that yet, but that's probably the next step.

Is there a reason you want to use your motherboard's audio and not the default HDMI audio that you're getting from your video card?

IIRC, Nvidia's latest control panel software includes an option to turn off HDMI audio. Is that option present in your version?

Because my speakers just have a regular 3.5mm jack—I wouldn't have any way to plug them in through an HDMI out. But I'll check the Nvidia control panel.
"Now I want to feel your eye sockets." —Jake

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11252 on: May 02, 2015, 09:27:53 am »
All it says is "No audio capable display available."

TomDavidson

• Señor Member
« Reply #11253 on: May 02, 2015, 12:08:46 pm »
Hm. Unless the hardware's bad, at this point I'm leaning towards a BIOS setting somewhere you haven't looked.
Indeed, a flavored hell goes deep sea fishing with some tripod defined by another hole puncher.

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11254 on: May 02, 2015, 12:18:21 pm »
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I can get audio out through the HDMI on the discrete graphics—either the old card or the new one—but not any other way. I even tried removing the graphics card and using the onboard graphics and audio, but that didn't work either. The onboard audio just isn't detecting any connection.

I'm not sure why it would coincide with installing a new graphics card, unless a little static charge just happened to fry the onboard audio or something.

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11255 on: May 03, 2015, 01:24:30 pm »
I think my options at this point are either (1) return the motherboard and get a replacement, or (2) get a new monitor with HDMI input and an audio out jack. But it seems like everything I look at has a headphone jack but not an audio out jack. Is it okay to plug speakers into a headphone jack, or is that just going to end up causing other problems?

TomDavidson

• Señor Member
« Reply #11256 on: May 03, 2015, 06:47:23 pm »
You could also buy a dedicated sound card, I suppose.

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #11257 on: May 03, 2015, 06:50:11 pm »
We've moved on, but I haven't had very good experiences with e textbooks.  Maybe it depends on the subject, but I found the etextbook for statistics a nighmare to use.  In order to be able to read the print, it had to be magnified so that it took 4 scrolls of various kinds to get around a spread. 

Granted, having a searchable textbook for a take home tests... is like cheating.
That seems to be consistent with what she said.
-Jonathon

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11258 on: May 03, 2015, 09:20:25 pm »
You could also buy a dedicated sound card, I suppose.

Except that it's a mini-ITX board, so I don't have any free expansion slots.

I think I'll just exchange the motherboard and use EVGA's cross-ship option so that I'm not without a computer while it's in the mail.

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #11259 on: May 07, 2015, 09:40:44 pm »
I have a portable dishwasher, which I have had for a couple years. It was working fine last week, but a few days ago we discovered that it no longer does ANYTHING when plugged in. Never mind running -- the lights don't even light up! (We checked multiple outlets, all of which work with other appliances.)

Any suggestions, short of calling an appliance repair place?
Some people feel like anything different is good.  Terror is different.
--pooka

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11260 on: May 07, 2015, 10:48:51 pm »
My parents had something similar happen to their dishwasher, and I searched for a fuse that I might be able to replace in vain.  But I might check for that again on another model. 

Well, hell, I didn't think to look in the panel where the buttons are.  First google result below.  No idea if a portable model has a similar setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdlVbTXm8SY

I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #11261 on: May 07, 2015, 11:56:17 pm »
Thanks. Interesting.

Mine is pretty different, looks like. Mine is a Danby DDW1899WP.

And no site seems to have fuses for it either. Not that replacing one is necessarily something I am comfortable with in any case.

Darn. Guess it's a repair guy. Not gonna happen this month.

*sigh*
--pooka

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11262 on: May 13, 2015, 07:02:52 pm »
I think I'll just exchange the motherboard and use EVGA's cross-ship option so that I'm not without a computer while it's in the mail.

I finally got the replacement motherboard, and hallelujah! The sound works.

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #11263 on: May 13, 2015, 07:26:35 pm »
 8)
--pooka

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #11264 on: May 22, 2015, 10:16:11 am »
Spreadsheet Compare is AWESOME.

That is all.
--pooka