Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 420513 times)

TheTick

• Resident
    • View Profile
    • Honk if you love JUSTICE!
Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #12000 on: November 20, 2016, 02:42:11 am »
Question: does Amazon's Alexa have a way to help you cook? By that I mean, could you select a recipe (perhaps from an app or somewhere you've already stored ones you like) and then ask it for each next step in the recipe, and it interrupts the music it was playing and gives it to you? So, for example: "Alexa, next step" and it would say "gently fold the meringue into the chocolate mixture". But also: current step, previous step, etc.

edit to correct numerous typos

http://engt.co/2gwywnh
Her trail went cold just outside the house.  Got bit by a dog, too.
Honk if you love justice!

Zalmoxis

• Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12001 on: November 20, 2016, 07:47:51 am »
Very interesting.
If the gentle vacuum cleaner buries an eggplant around a spider, then a revered tornado dies.

Jonathon

• Velvet J
  • Resident
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #12002 on: November 29, 2016, 07:59:34 pm »
Update on my WordPress encoding issues: I was able to install another instance of WordPress, export everything from my current installation as XML, and import it to the new one. Now the data's all there, and it's all in Unicode. Now that it's all there, I just need to either switch databases or import everything from the new database into the old one.

It looks like phpMyAdmin will let me copy tables from one database to another. If I go that route, would I want to copy the data and structure and add DROP TABLE?
"I'm 87% sure Jonathon is 100% correct." —Scott R

Jonathon

• Velvet J
  • Resident
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #12003 on: December 02, 2016, 08:03:45 am »
Well, I went ahead and copied some tables from the new installation's database, and it looks like everything's working. I briefly messed things up when I copied the table with some of the installation options, but it's not like I really need that one in Unicode, so I switched it back. But the posts and comments are all in Unicode now, and the only ill effect I can see is that it dropped the italics from some post titles. I guess it stripped those out when I exported to XML, but it's easy enough to add them back in.
"I'm 87% sure Jonathon is 100% correct." —Scott R

GaalDornick

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12004 on: December 02, 2016, 08:39:59 pm »
I've been having an issue for a while where people say they called me and it rang, but I don't show a missed call. Sometimes I get voicemails without a corresponding missed call. Tonight, my girlfriend said she called me and it rang twice before going to voicemail as if I rejected the call, but again, nothing showing on my end. I have a Galaxy S7, and was having the same issue on a previous Galaxy S7 that was replaced under warranty for a different reason, so it's not the phone. An AT&T phone rep and Google have been unhelpful. Anyone have any ideas of what could be causing it?

Risuena

• Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12005 on: December 02, 2016, 09:01:44 pm »
When I've had that problem before, it's because I wasn't getting good coverage from my cell service at that time. That includes both when I was geographically at the edge of my provider's cell service and also when I was dead center in the middle of their coverage, but surrounded by people all trying to use the cell service at the same time. Basically, someone would call me, but my phone would act like it was out of service range and send the call to voice mail without notifying me I got a call and the only way I'd know is if someone left a voicemail or otherwise told me they called.

Texts don't seem to require as much signal strength, so those were never a problem.
There is a monkey on your head and you are smiling about it. That indicates an outgoing personality. - TomD

GaalDornick

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12006 on: December 02, 2016, 09:06:53 pm »
Yeah I was thinking that, but the times that I've gotten voicemails without missed calls, I called back and they confirmed the phone did ring. That's what bothers me,  I could be missing calls that rang and the other person just think I'm not calling them back.

ketchupqueen

• Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12007 on: December 03, 2016, 10:03:55 am »
That happens occasionally to me and is always a network issue. And yes, it seems to ring for the person calling. I've also been the person calling and have it happen.

For us, restarting the phone often fixes the connection, if it is a place we usually have decent signal.
Psychic abilities with a side of synesthesia. -CT

ketchupqueen

• Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12008 on: December 03, 2016, 10:05:01 am »
Oh, And it's happened with multiple different phones through the years.
Psychic abilities with a side of synesthesia. -CT

GaalDornick

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12009 on: December 03, 2016, 10:59:38 pm »
I always thought if your phone isn't connecting to the network properly then if someone calls it should send them straight to your voicemail since no connection is being made to your phone. And I always get good signal at my house, which is at least one place where it's happened.

Damn technology.  :P