Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 411667 times)

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #11900 on: September 16, 2016, 12:31:20 pm »
I'm perplexed. The word maven encountered no problems.
It's a euphemism.

"Stop and smell the data."- Nate Silver

"I love the smell of confirmation bias in the morning."-Steve Rogers

Yes, but it's clever when I do it.  -Jake

Who needs OSHA when you've got a Bob? :) JT

GaalDornick

• Veteran
« Reply #11901 on: September 16, 2016, 12:59:21 pm »
These days, all the most user-friendly options will be app-based like Dropcam, Nest, et al.

That's a good idea, thanks.

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #11902 on: September 18, 2016, 12:06:46 pm »
Sometimes copying the entire contents of the document and pasting it into a new blank document fixes weird glitchy stuff like that.
Yup, this has worked for me more than once.
It's great to enjoy your work, because you spend a lot of time doing it, but it is even better to enjoy your life.
--ElJay

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11903 on: September 22, 2016, 01:10:23 pm »
I need some hardware troubleshooting help with an old Asus ultraportable laptop. The hinges are wearing out, and now sometimes when the laptop is bumped or jostled, the screen blacks out for a second. Sometimes, if it blacks out too long (more than a fraction of a second), the computer goes to sleep. Is this probably just a problem with the video cable itself, or is there some sort of sensor in the hinge that's shot and is telling Windows that the lid is closed?
"I'm 87% sure Jonathon is 100% correct." —Scott R

Drew

• Resident
« Reply #11904 on: September 22, 2016, 01:34:32 pm »
There's a sensor.

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11905 on: September 22, 2016, 01:39:47 pm »
I would suspect the lid closing sensor, but some models use a magnetic sensor in front of the keyboard.  A possible easy troubleshooting step or even long term workaround would be to modify the power management settings for what to do when the lid is closed.
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11906 on: September 22, 2016, 02:28:30 pm »
I set it to do nothing when the lid is closed, and it still flickers when bumped but doesn't go to sleep. I guess that's progress, but it seems like I might need a new video cable.

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11907 on: September 22, 2016, 02:38:50 pm »
I've had one get kind of loose over time but still function fine again after it was re-seated.  fwiw
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11908 on: September 22, 2016, 02:53:10 pm »
Good to know. Thanks.

Scott R

• Scooter
« Reply #11909 on: September 26, 2016, 08:27:45 am »
I fixed my daughter's laptop-- this entailed replacing the motherboard, the DC adapter, and fixing a broken plastic post inside the laptop (I used superglue...).

Kind of pleased with myself.  It wasn't hard at all, but just getting up the nerve to fix something rather than replace it outright was a big step for me.

In other news, I've got an old laptop that I want to put Ubuntu on.  I'm not sure what to do with it after that.  What do you do with old laptops? 
I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.” ― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11910 on: September 26, 2016, 08:53:00 am »
Whatever you feel like you wanna do.  Gosh.

We converted Chromebooks to Ubuntu machines for our kids.  We are using Dansguardian and Privoxy in tandem to control what they can access on the Internet, and the kids use them mostly for Scratch (scratch.mit.edu). 

Other things you can do:
Use it for learning full stack web development. (freecodecamp.com)
Run a media server (not a traditional use for a laptop machine, but are you going to let tradition dictate what you do? )
-- Jonathon

TheTick

• Resident
« Reply #11911 on: September 26, 2016, 09:01:20 am »
I used my first laptop for 9 years, mostly to play old games and emulators.  The media server idea isn't bad either, though I'm years out of date on what to use for that on Linux.
Her trail went cold just outside the house.  Got bit by a dog, too.
Honk if you love justice!

TomDavidson

• Señor Member
« Reply #11912 on: September 26, 2016, 10:03:18 am »
A laptop attached to an external hard drive makes an excellent media server, provided you have HDMI or DisplayPort.
Indeed, a flavored hell goes deep sea fishing with some tripod defined by another hole puncher.