Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 365857 times)

Teshi

• Resident
Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #11300 on: June 11, 2015, 10:30:52 pm »
Here's a question:

My computer is quite far from my router. However, the router is definitively powerful enough to reach up here-- I am connected right now. However, the internet still drops quite a lot which doesn't happen when I sit on the stairs right on top of the router, so it's obviously a distance issue. However, if I disconnect and then reconnect again, it tends to be fine for at least a short period before cutting out again--it just did. It then gives me a local only warning.

One thing that seems to help is a constant flow of information, e.g. streaming or a torrent. It's not perfect, but it's better.

Is there anything I can do to help my computer stay connected?

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11301 on: June 11, 2015, 11:10:54 pm »
Wireless routers generally have a stronger signal in a horizontal torus around the router.  Does it need to serve your roommates too?  If not, changing the angle of the antennae - or the router itself, if the antennae are internal - might help. 

Using a different channel on the router might help too.
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #11302 on: June 12, 2015, 09:05:46 am »
Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't know how to do a hard reset previously.  But I let it sit and think about it's behavior for a couple of hours, and next time I opened it, it offered tabs.
That seems to be consistent with what she said.
-Jonathon

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #11303 on: June 12, 2015, 10:29:11 am »
Any tips on how n how to get an XP machine to recognize a windows 7 machine on a local network?
It's a euphemism.

"Stop and smell the data."- Nate Silver

"I love the smell of confirmation bias in the morning."-Steve Rogers

Yes, but it's clever when I do it.  -Jake

TomDavidson

• SeƱor Member
« Reply #11304 on: June 12, 2015, 10:51:29 am »
They're already all in the same workgroup, right?
Indeed, a flavored hell goes deep sea fishing with some tripod defined by another hole puncher.

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #11305 on: June 12, 2015, 10:23:41 pm »
I'll double check, but I think so.  The 7 machine can see the XP ne, but not vice versa. I seem to recall this happening before and it being solved fairly easily, but I have no recollection of what the fix was.
It's a euphemism.

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #11306 on: June 18, 2015, 06:59:13 pm »
Problem solved. None of the online advice actually worked except that somehow the digital equivalent of banging on the side of the TV seems to have done the trick. Actually the problems were all in the security settings on the 7 machine. They just don't like talking to their older cousins running XP.

The next hurdle was getting mine craft to work in lan mode between the two machines. Turns out y.ou have to specifically let JAVA get through the firewall for home networked computers.

These machines don't surf the web, so I'm not as nervous about this as I might otherwise be, but this was a lot of hoops to go through so that two minecraft obsessed boys could play in each other's stand alone worlds.  Sheesh.
It's a euphemism.

Drew

• Resident
« Reply #11307 on: June 19, 2015, 09:29:29 am »
Craigslist is now 100% owned by Craigslist again: http://blog.craigslist.org/2015/06/19/exit-stage-left/

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11308 on: June 19, 2015, 09:47:45 am »
I was surprised when they sold off a stake to begin with.  I know why eBay wanted it, but it didn't seem like it'd be a good thing for CL.
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #11309 on: June 25, 2015, 04:31:09 pm »
Twice in the last week I've been the object of this weird identity authentication quiz, that I've failed on one occasion, possibly because I said we don't have a fireplace.  I joked that maybe Equifax is working with Santa Claus, but I wonder if they are making an assumption based on Google Earth.  One was with Verizon, and the other was taking an online proctored exam for school.  They asked questions I've sometimes seen on credit report things, like prior addresses and phone numbers, but there was a question about who we bought our house from, which I don't really know.
That seems to be consistent with what she said.
-Jonathon