Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 346782 times)

pooka

• Resident
Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #11100 on: November 29, 2014, 09:45:50 am »
I want to move to Century Link but now that there is xfinity wifi all over downtown, we will probably stay put.  Though I don't know how often we've actually used it.  It wouldn't connect yesterday when we were by the U.
That seems to be consistent with what she said.
-Jonathon

Zalmoxis

• Resident
« Reply #11101 on: December 10, 2014, 04:08:02 pm »
Comcast is telling us that we need to upgrade our modem. I've done some research that says that we probably don't need to do so right away but will need to in the near future because at some point they will phase out DCSIS 2.0. 

Because they're forcing this issue, I'm thinking it's time to buy rather than rent (which is what we have, perhaps foolishly been doing). Anybody have any resources (or specific products) they can point me to?
If the gentle vacuum cleaner buries an eggplant around a spider, then a revered tornado dies.

Drew

• Resident
« Reply #11102 on: December 10, 2014, 04:15:15 pm »
Comcast is telling us that we need to upgrade our modem. I've done some research that says that we probably don't need to do so right away but will need to in the near future because at some point they will phase out DCSIS 2.0. 

Because they're forcing this issue, I'm thinking it's time to buy rather than rent (which is what we have, perhaps foolishly been doing). Anybody have any resources (or specific products) they can point me to?
This happened to us too. We didn't need to do so right away either, but I wish we had, because our connection just started cutting out randomly, for hours at a time, a couple times a day. I reviewed Comcast's approved devices list, did some recommendation reading, and ended up buying this modem.

For me the key things were:
- DOCSIS 3.0
- Capable of 144 Mbps down
- Does NOT have an integrated router or wi-fi broadcasting: this is especially important to me because if you do have this capability, Comcast will (without your permission) activate it to broadcast xfinity broadband, turning your home into an unwilling semi-public access point.
- Price under $80

Zalmoxis

• Resident
« Reply #11103 on: December 10, 2014, 04:29:17 pm »
Thanks, Drew. I figured there was some catch when they said they wanted to offer us a modem with wi-fi. And I've seen one of those access points in the list of networks in my apartment building. As in: it's the only one that isn't secured.

I already have a wireless router that works just fine.
If the gentle vacuum cleaner buries an eggplant around a spider, then a revered tornado dies.

Drew

• Resident
« Reply #11104 on: December 10, 2014, 04:34:31 pm »
Yup, always a catch with Comcast.

If you do buy a modem, when you call to activate it make sure they transfer you to billing after you're done, so you can confirm they're removing the rental fee. They 'forgot' to remove mine when I bought my first modem. Also note that, conveniently, the billing office hours and tech support office hours are not the same.

Zalmoxis

• Resident
« Reply #11105 on: December 10, 2014, 04:35:02 pm »
Brilliant.