Hello Guest

Author Topic: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2  (Read 368313 times)

Teshi

• Resident
Re: The General Geeky Thread, vol. 2
« Reply #11300 on: June 11, 2015, 10:30:52 pm »
Here's a question:

My computer is quite far from my router. However, the router is definitively powerful enough to reach up here-- I am connected right now. However, the internet still drops quite a lot which doesn't happen when I sit on the stairs right on top of the router, so it's obviously a distance issue. However, if I disconnect and then reconnect again, it tends to be fine for at least a short period before cutting out again--it just did. It then gives me a local only warning.

One thing that seems to help is a constant flow of information, e.g. streaming or a torrent. It's not perfect, but it's better.

Is there anything I can do to help my computer stay connected?

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11301 on: June 11, 2015, 11:10:54 pm »
Wireless routers generally have a stronger signal in a horizontal torus around the router.  Does it need to serve your roommates too?  If not, changing the angle of the antennae - or the router itself, if the antennae are internal - might help. 

Using a different channel on the router might help too.
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #11302 on: June 12, 2015, 09:05:46 am »
Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't know how to do a hard reset previously.  But I let it sit and think about it's behavior for a couple of hours, and next time I opened it, it offered tabs.
That seems to be consistent with what she said.
-Jonathon

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #11303 on: June 12, 2015, 10:29:11 am »
Any tips on how n how to get an XP machine to recognize a windows 7 machine on a local network?
It's a euphemism.

"Stop and smell the data."- Nate Silver

"I love the smell of confirmation bias in the morning."-Steve Rogers

Yes, but it's clever when I do it.  -Jake

TomDavidson

• Señor Member
« Reply #11304 on: June 12, 2015, 10:51:29 am »
They're already all in the same workgroup, right?
Indeed, a flavored hell goes deep sea fishing with some tripod defined by another hole puncher.

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #11305 on: June 12, 2015, 10:23:41 pm »
I'll double check, but I think so.  The 7 machine can see the XP ne, but not vice versa. I seem to recall this happening before and it being solved fairly easily, but I have no recollection of what the fix was.
It's a euphemism.

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #11306 on: June 18, 2015, 06:59:13 pm »
Problem solved. None of the online advice actually worked except that somehow the digital equivalent of banging on the side of the TV seems to have done the trick. Actually the problems were all in the security settings on the 7 machine. They just don't like talking to their older cousins running XP.

The next hurdle was getting mine craft to work in lan mode between the two machines. Turns out y.ou have to specifically let JAVA get through the firewall for home networked computers.

These machines don't surf the web, so I'm not as nervous about this as I might otherwise be, but this was a lot of hoops to go through so that two minecraft obsessed boys could play in each other's stand alone worlds.  Sheesh.
It's a euphemism.

Drew

• Resident
« Reply #11307 on: June 19, 2015, 09:29:29 am »
Craigslist is now 100% owned by Craigslist again: http://blog.craigslist.org/2015/06/19/exit-stage-left/

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11308 on: June 19, 2015, 09:47:45 am »
I was surprised when they sold off a stake to begin with.  I know why eBay wanted it, but it didn't seem like it'd be a good thing for CL.
I'm just trying to figure out what it is about not knowing your salary that you're not happy with.
-- Jonathon

pooka

• Resident
« Reply #11309 on: June 25, 2015, 04:31:09 pm »
Twice in the last week I've been the object of this weird identity authentication quiz, that I've failed on one occasion, possibly because I said we don't have a fireplace.  I joked that maybe Equifax is working with Santa Claus, but I wonder if they are making an assumption based on Google Earth.  One was with Verizon, and the other was taking an online proctored exam for school.  They asked questions I've sometimes seen on credit report things, like prior addresses and phone numbers, but there was a question about who we bought our house from, which I don't really know.
That seems to be consistent with what she said.
-Jonathon

Dogbreath

• Veteran
« Reply #11310 on: July 12, 2015, 08:40:22 pm »
ArnoldC, a programming language based on Schwarzenegger one-liners.

JT

• Resident
« Reply #11311 on: July 14, 2015, 07:47:29 am »
I have a Belkin N100 wireless router that I use in my house. It's been great for going on three years now, but lately all of our devices are randomly dropping internet connection (though they retain connection to the wireless network). I was thinking it's maybe a DNS issue, but what the eff do I know.

Suggestions for a fix, or an affordable replacement? It's an 1100 sq ft house, but we all stream video from our respective corners of it.
You should have seen me.  I was DEMOCRACY IN ACTION.  I picked up my ballot and said, "HELLS YEAH!!" and then when I stuffed it into the ballet box, I did it with so much panache and elan that I can't hardly wait for the novelization.

AnUnexpectedY

• Resident
« Reply #11312 on: July 14, 2015, 07:49:08 am »
Have you tried swapping firmware for DD-WRT or Tomato?
I prefer to think of myself as a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur!

JT

• Resident
« Reply #11313 on: July 14, 2015, 08:48:51 am »
No, because it won't run either.
You should have seen me.  I was DEMOCRACY IN ACTION.  I picked up my ballot and said, "HELLS YEAH!!" and then when I stuffed it into the ballet box, I did it with so much panache and elan that I can't hardly wait for the novelization.

AnUnexpectedY

• Resident
« Reply #11314 on: July 14, 2015, 09:39:21 am »
You can probably get yourself a decent wireless N router on Craigslist for a decent price. Look for anything with external antennae. I've been enamored with ASUS home routers for a couple of years. They're nice with good features.
I prefer to think of myself as a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur!

JT

• Resident
« Reply #11315 on: July 14, 2015, 10:04:48 am »
Yeah, I like the 66, but haven't seen one for less than 75 bucks.

Keith

• Resident
« Reply #11316 on: July 14, 2015, 10:12:31 am »
I use this and it's been really good, although not completely immune from the need to reboot occasionally (maybe once every couple of months).  DD-WRT compatible, although I haven't tried it because when I last checked the fastest AC modes were not yet supported.
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C7-Wireless-1300Mbps/dp/B00BUSDVBQ

If you haven't yet updated the firmware on your router, I'd give that a shot.  Also, popping open the cover to see if you have any bulging capacitors (I've revived multiple devices just by replacing dodgy looking capacitors).

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:14:50 am by Keith »
-- Jonathon

Zalmoxis

• Resident
« Reply #11317 on: July 15, 2015, 01:13:23 pm »
At what point is one's investment in Apple apps/software significant enough to pay the Apple premium for hardware? I'm seriously considering buying an iPad to replace the hand-me-down we received (which came with a small crack one one side of the screen, but now there's a hairline crack across the entire screen) or perhaps instead getting a Mac Mini. I get an iPhone and MacBook Pro through work.
If the gentle vacuum cleaner buries an eggplant around a spider, then a revered tornado dies.

fugu13

• Resident
« Reply #11318 on: July 15, 2015, 01:24:06 pm »
If you're already in the iOS/OS X ecosystem and like having a tablet, they're very good tablets, and I believe still the highest performance tablet for games and web browsing, so you're getting something with the premium. I wouldn't bother with the mini in most cases.

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #11319 on: July 15, 2015, 01:25:58 pm »
If you're already in the iOS/OS X ecosystem and like having a tablet, they're very good tablets, and I believe still the highest performance tablet for games and web browsing, so you're getting something with the premium. I wouldn't bother with the mini in most cases.
I was gifted the mini about three years ago and I'm a pretty big fan. I don't have *any* other Apple products but it's been a great tablet. I can Facetime with my family members that have iPhones, and it runs all the software I ever need it to. It's a great size so it's easy to carry around and take on trips.
I did too, because someone linked it and i'm easy like that. -Rivka

Zalmoxis

• Resident
« Reply #11320 on: July 15, 2015, 01:38:36 pm »
We *might* be able to get away with the Mac Mini in that we'd only use it for web browsing, Pages, Pixelmator and Scrivener. Thing is: I don't want a MacBook Air or an iMac really (I already have a display).

But maybe we just see how much the wife and kid do on the iPad and if there's a need for a desktop beyond some cheap PC box.
If the gentle vacuum cleaner buries an eggplant around a spider, then a revered tornado dies.

Drew

• Resident
« Reply #11321 on: July 21, 2015, 10:23:11 pm »
Major long shot, but does anyone know of a CRM that is both HIPAA compliant and affordable to an independent healthcare provider?

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #11322 on: July 22, 2015, 01:24:06 pm »
I am totally geeking out about combined memory and processor components for next generation (or so) computers. The idea that the division of labor between memory units and processing units can become shared...as they are in biological systems...is just so cool. I love that researchers had the insight that this could be much more efficient and have started testing things like memristors, memcapacitors, and meminductors.  Makes me wish I were smarter and had chosen this field along with Psychology. Just. So. Cool.
It's a euphemism.

JT

• Resident
« Reply #11323 on: July 23, 2015, 08:11:10 am »
Do you have a good link on that -- I haven't heard about it. I'm curious how that would work.

BlackBlade

• Resident
« Reply #11324 on: July 23, 2015, 08:35:59 am »
Major long shot, but does anyone know of a CRM that is both HIPAA compliant and affordable to an independent healthcare provider?
PMs sent, Drew.
I did too, because someone linked it and i'm easy like that. -Rivka

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #11325 on: July 23, 2015, 10:09:21 am »
Do you have a good link on that -- I haven't heard about it. I'm curious how that would work.

I'll look later today. The article was in Scientific American, feb 2015
It's a euphemism.

Dro_Trebor

• Resident
« Reply #11326 on: July 24, 2015, 04:11:29 am »
Here's a really long video

The SciAm article is behind a paywall, so all you can see is the preview online.

However, one of the scholarly publications is available for download at
http://arxiv.org/pdf/0901.3682.pdf

That predates the 2011 experimental validation of their theories, so it's a bit more exciting knowing that this stuff actually exists, if only in a lab for now.

It's a euphemism.

Ducalion

• Veteran
« Reply #11327 on: July 24, 2015, 12:43:36 pm »
Just finished installing Windows 10 Preview and now going through it to see if it's better than 8 (and at this point, almost anything will be better. I *HATESES* Windows 8!). So far, the Start Menu is back. Sorta

EDIT 1: Windows 10 is a hella lot smarter than any previous versions to date. It's looking for and installing my printer software and drivers on its own

EDIT 2: Found one issue so far. My onboard keyboard and  mouse pad on the laptop are disabled

EDIT 3: When checking my video adapter properties I'm getting weird characters instead of letters in places in the properties window

EDIT 4: No more Charms Bar. Start Menu is back. There are 'Charms' on the left side of the Start frame but no real Charms window like with 8 and 8.1. I've always had issues navigating Windows 8 when doing technical support on a Win 8 machine and digging into the guts to fix issues

EDIT 5: Windows 10 installed all hardware drivers on its own. Something I've never had happen before with any build of Windows. What few bugs I've found have been minor. I reported the odd characters in the ATI Properties window to Feedback. I'm finding it much easier to change settings in 10 than it ever was in 8. So far it's very intuitive and much more user friendly than 8.

Preview Build I'm testing is 10130

If anyone has anything they'd like me to try or check while I'm testing feel free to ask

EDIT 6: Ooooo I LIKE this! You can download maps and even get directions while offline. You pick the region, then the country, then the states you want to download

EDIT 7: Some sorta glitch is causing a different name to pop up associated with my email address when setting up the Windows  login. Setup is the same as in Windows 8. Performed a Nuke n Pave twice now. Same thing happened  with the first Nuke. Gonna use my alternative email this time. Fresh install and setup takes about 30 minutes. So much faster than 8 which can take hours.

Other than the minor glitches, it is stable and hardy. All drivers for hardware are installed with the installation of the OS, which is new for Windows in most cases. 10 is backwards compatible even with old XP apps. Might take some  tinkering to get some to work.
Visually it is nice and performance even on this weak machine I'm testing on is good (Toshiba C655-S5132. AMD 1Ghz Dual Core Proc. 4 gigs ram).

You have options for logging in with either a password or a 4 digit PIN

Cortana (Windows answer to Mac Siri) is standard. Store is the same format as with 8. The only real issue I've had so far is the MSConfig startup tab. It was changed in 8 and I'm not real fond of the change.
Easier navigation with 10 than with 8. I can dig into the guts of the OS a lot better, find my apps that do not appear on the Charm Start than in 8 (installed office suite on a Win 8 machine and could only get the Word tile on the Charms window. Made finding the executables for Excel, PowerPoint etc difficult)

So far I am liking 10 a whole helluva lot better than 8. Operating is comparable with 7 with a few modifications made to it. Still a slight learning curve.

One glitch I'm having is I'm about 3 builds behind so I'm probably seeing bugs that have already been fixed.
Something I've never done before but here goes. Release date is Wednesday this week. I'm going to say go for the upgrade (and I'm a HUGE skeptic when it comes to a new version of Windows so my recommendation says something about the new OS)

Windows 10 will be free to get until July 29 2016 so you have a year to upgrade/get it before they start charging for it. After that it there will be a price to get it like previous versions (an unprecedented move by Microsoft) but a good way to entice users to upgrade or get the OS most people wouldn't otherwise

EDIT 8:
Checking performance with only Windows running and no apps:
CPU @ 4 to 5%
Memory 1.2/3.6 (33%)
Utilization: 4-5%
Speed: 0.81=-85 GHz
Processes 53
Threads 790-799
Handles 26053
Uptime 0.05.00.13 (at this time)

CPU Usage just jumped to 57%

I hope this helps guys

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 08:27:04 am by Ducalion »
FREE COGNITO!!!!!!!!

Assimilation is futile. You will be resis.... DOH! /goes back to the drawing board

I can just imagine you singing the blues on the doorstop, out into the dark night with the crickets and the stars. - CT

Ducalion

• Veteran
« Reply #11328 on: July 26, 2015, 12:34:23 pm »
Installing 10 on my main laptop with a better processor and 6 gigs of ram. I'll edit this post with observations over the next few days

EDIT: Is anyone else testing 10? I'd like to hear what you think if so
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:35:58 pm by Ducalion »
FREE COGNITO!!!!!!!!

Assimilation is futile. You will be resis.... DOH! /goes back to the drawing board

I can just imagine you singing the blues on the doorstop, out into the dark night with the crickets and the stars. - CT

Corwin

• Resident
« Reply #11329 on: July 27, 2015, 02:46:42 am »
I've reserved the upgrade, but haven't got it so far. I'm upgrading from Windows 7 on an almost 4 year old laptop with pretty good specs, but I'm soon getting a new laptop (desktop? still not sure) and will install it on that one also.

TomDavidson

• Señor Member
« Reply #11330 on: July 27, 2015, 03:09:31 am »
The decision to not include WMC has made it a very low-priority "upgrade" for me.
Indeed, a flavored hell goes deep sea fishing with some tripod defined by another hole puncher.

Teshi

• Resident
« Reply #11331 on: July 27, 2015, 07:30:49 am »
My computer currently barely runs on Vista (as far as I can tell simply because things are getting more processor/memory heavy and my computer can't handle it weighed down after five years of use), so I'm not making any changes to it.

I'm just waiting for the release, when I will be upgrading by the time honoured "buying a new computer" with a reasonable amount of memory.

From what I've heard from my brother, who is building aspects of it (so there's a certain amount of biases there), Windows 10 is a lot of things that previous Windowses just weren't and I'm excited to make the leap and watch it progress. I've never used WMC (I had to look up why its loss is a big deal to some people), but then I've always consumed media through third or fourth parties and I've never owned fancy devices that are connected together like Apple makes everything one giant conglomerate.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 07:34:36 am by Teshi »

Ducalion

• Veteran
« Reply #11332 on: July 27, 2015, 08:38:37 am »
My computer currently barely runs on Vista (as far as I can tell simply because things are getting more processor/memory heavy and my computer can't handle it weighed down after five years of use), so I'm not making any changes to it.

I'm just waiting for the release, when I will be upgrading by the time honoured "buying a new computer" with a reasonable amount of memory.

From what I've heard from my brother, who is building aspects of it (so there's a certain amount of biases there), Windows 10 is a lot of things that previous Windowses just weren't and I'm excited to make the leap and watch it progress. I've never used WMC (I had to look up why its loss is a big deal to some people), but then I've always consumed media through third or fourth parties and I've never owned fancy devices that are connected together like Apple makes everything one giant conglomerate.

Vista was and is a very bloated OS and resource intensive. I've had  really good luck running 7 on a Vista and even XP machines without any stress on the hardware. Matter of fact, my Toshiba (the $5.00 computer) is a Vista machine and its a bargain basement model. 1 GHz Processor. I did upgrade it to 4 gigs of ram because 1 gig just doesn't cut it for me.
As for WMC, I use Virtual DJ for most of my media needs. Granted the EQ is more limited  than  Media Player but I can live with that.
I'm thinking of making my primary computer a dual boot for 7 and 10.
Rumor has it this is the last OS Microsoft will make. Instead they will do upgrades to the new OS sort of like what happens with Chromebooks.
As stated in an earlier post, you can upgrade/get 10 for free for 1 year after release. Upgrades will be rolled out incrementally according to machine specs from what I understand. Also you can run it on all your machines so no separate licensing required. Another unprecedented move on the part of Microsoft.
Cortana is a nice addition. You can tell her to search for stuff (I had her look for the number of Trader Joe's in Greenville and she popped right up with it) and to open apps. It's kinda fun to mess with her
FREE COGNITO!!!!!!!!

Teshi

• Resident
« Reply #11333 on: July 27, 2015, 09:29:20 am »
Yeah, that's what I've been told.

I do need another computer, though. I have considered getting a new machine now(ish, depending on funds) but then I'd have to upgrade to 10. How intensive is an upgrade? I assume I'd have to reinstall everything (again) and that will take a lot of organisation to ensure I'm not losing anything important.

Thankfully, currently most of my media lives on external HDs (because the HD on this computer is an adorable 150GB) so it's not a massive amount of copying.

TomDavidson

• Señor Member
« Reply #11334 on: July 27, 2015, 09:43:17 am »
The problem I have with the loss of Windows Media Center is that my computer is also my TV and DVR, and there is simply no better DVR software out there right now than Windows Media Center. I've tried a couple alternatives, and while lots of them handle ripped media better, none of them handle TV as well.

rivka

• Resident
« Reply #11335 on: July 27, 2015, 10:23:07 am »
WMC also had a decent Netflix plugin, and works well with my remote.

None of the replacements I've found do both well. Let alone switching between on-drive, DVD, and Netflix smoothly using the remote.
Everyone is a little bit off. Especially the perfectly normal people; they're terrifying. The trick is finding somebody who is crazy in ways that complement your own.
--TomDavidson

Jonathon

• Velvet J
« Reply #11336 on: July 27, 2015, 10:34:27 am »
If I understand right, they want everybody to migrate to the Xbox as a media center device. How does its functionality compare? And if that's really the way they want to go, why don't they release some sort of set-top box like a Roku or Apple TV rather than forcing people to buy a console?
"Now I want to feel your eye sockets." —Jake

Ducalion

• Veteran
« Reply #11337 on: July 27, 2015, 05:01:16 pm »
Yeah, that's what I've been told.

I do need another computer, though. I have considered getting a new machine now(ish, depending on funds) but then I'd have to upgrade to 10. How intensive is an upgrade? I assume I'd have to reinstall everything (again) and that will take a lot of organisation to ensure I'm not losing anything important.

Thankfully, currently most of my media lives on external HDs (because the HD on this computer is an adorable 150GB) so it's not a massive amount of copying.

Here is what I found out about the upgrade:

FREE COGNITO!!!!!!!!

Teshi

• Resident
« Reply #11338 on: July 28, 2015, 09:07:18 am »
Yeah, thanks, that's helpful. If I'm going to upgrade twice (e.g. to 8.1 and then to 10) it's good to know that it wouldn't be starting from scratch.

Basically, I have to spend some time going through what applications I have, which ones I use, which ones I have keys for and which I've grandfathered from another computer, not to mention things like passwords.

I know some people keep their computers so empty, but changing my computer is a bigger deal for me than moving house in terms of work involved.

Ducalion

• Veteran
« Reply #11339 on: July 28, 2015, 10:38:28 am »
I so totally get that. I'm a data hoarder myself. I've got about 15 hard drives (desktop) with programs and data put away even though I may never use any of it again. And reinstalling software is a headache after a nuke or upgrade in OS if it doesn't transfer with the upgrade. I'm doing fresh installs on my tests to see how they perform but my main drives with 7 are set aside for the later upgrade now that I know most will transfer

EDIT: You shouldn't have to upgrade twice. 7 does a direct upgrade to 10 as well as 8.1. Vista does too but it doesn't keep your old apps from what I understand
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:40:11 am by Ducalion »
FREE COGNITO!!!!!!!!

TheTick

• Resident
« Reply #11340 on: July 28, 2015, 10:40:32 am »
It's kind of why I've built the new computer as strictly a gaming system - no pictures, no important files to make sure I back up, just one machine I can format and reinstall whenever I want and not annoy my wife.
Her trail went cold just outside the house.  Got bit by a dog, too.
Honk if you love justice!

Corwin

• Resident
« Reply #11341 on: Today at 01:26:17 am »
I just got the option to upgrade to Win 10. Though I probably won't download the 3 GB while at work. :P

Ducalion

• Veteran
« Reply #11342 on: Today at 05:56:12 am »
Ran into an error activating windows on my primary computer. Error code 0x004e016. Apparently either a setting is off or an update was corrupted. Of course I'm a couple builds behind and can't seem to get the latest build so this error could be fixed by now. It still works unactivated just fine
FREE COGNITO!!!!!!!!